In situ windscreen sealant

Hi

I drove the RBRR last year and in monsoon conditions around Glasgow the bottom corners of the windscreen started leaking. Wet legs all round and unhappy co-driver. We ended up using chewing gum and a makeshift gutter to solve the issue. Now looking for something more permanent. Does any one have a suggestion for a sealant I can use with the screen in situ. Don't want to have the hassle of removal. 

Please wait while image is uploading...

Is dum dum putty still available and suitable. 
I seem to recall dad using it for all sorts of car sealing job in the distant past. 
a sort of non drying putty that he would force into window channel gaps etc with his thumb leaving a neat black edge?

just a thought. 

Edited by Hamish

I have had success with 3M windscreen sealant on the TR3 frame where the metal corners did not quite join.  The stuff is sold for fitting glass to rubber installations 

https://groveshop.co.uk/windscreen/19242-3m-windscreen-sealer-black-310-ml-8509.html

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I have had success with 3M windscreen sealant on the TR3 frame where the metal corners did not quite join.  The stuff is sold for fitting glass to rubber installations 

https://groveshop.co.uk/windscreen/19242-3m-windscreen-sealer-black-310-ml-8509.html

Thats what I use for all sealing needs.

Stuart.

Mine was leaking around both lower corners and I found clear Gorilla All-Conditions Sealant (from local DIY store) did the job well. I did both corners extending all the way up to the top of each windscreen pillar, and found masking close to the edge of the glass / rubber seal gave a clean finish. 

Cured years of soggy knees in the 6.

Ray

On 8/16/2022 at 7:39 PM, Bluestone said:

Mine was leaking around both lower corners and I found clear Gorilla All-Conditions Sealant (from local DIY store) did the job well. I did both corners extending all the way up to the top of each windscreen pillar, and found masking close to the edge of the glass / rubber seal gave a clean finish. 

Cured years of soggy knees in the 6.

Ray

Thx. Sounds like a good approach. 

I can also recommend Captain Tolleys, from personal experience.  Stopped the wet right ankle problem.  Very easy to use - just poke the nozzle between glass and rubber and allow the liquid to creep down.  It took a double application to solve my problem  but my ankle has been dry ever since.

Have gone round the screen with 3M sealant. Fingers crossed. Had used Captain Tolleys in the past on the screen. It reduced the leaks but I  still had some. 

Tim

Ian  Moss stock new washers for the underside of the  bezel  TR3-3A from TS12568  ( yours ? )

Seal, wheelbox (moss-europe.co.uk). They go a bit crusty with the passing years and one day you have a leak. Remove the wiper arm / blade and give the retaining

nut a good dosing of penetrating oil / Plus Gas and leave to permeate for a while. Having removed the nut , spindle and rubber washer, thoroughly clean the paintwork

around the hole. Dab of car polish and fit new washers to each wiper spindle , tighten up the fittings - firm but down go mad.

Bob

6 hours ago, bob-menhennett said:

Ian  Moss stock new washers for the underside of the  bezel  TR3-3A from TS12568  ( yours ? )

Seal, wheelbox (moss-europe.co.uk). They go a bit crusty with the passing years and one day you have a leak. Remove the wiper arm / blade and give the retaining

nut a good dosing of penetrating oil / Plus Gas and leave to permeate for a while. Having removed the nut , spindle and rubber washer, thoroughly clean the paintwork

around the hole. Dab of car polish and fit new washers to each wiper spindle , tighten up the fittings - firm but down go mad.

Bob

FWIW I smear non setting windscreen sealer either side of the rubber before fitting and then clean off the excess once you have tightened the nuts down.

Stuart.