TR4 fitting an alternator

15 hours ago, Z320 said:

+1 for your answer!

Triumph swaped to the alternator with the 6 cylinders - while the electric consumers remainded the same.

In my opinion the main reason was the lower price for the unit of alternator and regulator, more power was a win-win-situation.

With the new regulator was nothing to explain anymore - and nothing to do wrong.

My TR4A still has the C40 / RB 106 / type 20 belt and I never had any lack of current, electric power or voltage.

I drive the car occasionaly, about 3,000 - 4,000 km a year, the battery is 8 years old and still has 12,85 Volt.

It stays in the car during winter and got no attention at all.

Ciao, Marco

The 6 cylinder cars have an electric fuel pump suppling high pressure for the fuel injection. Quite a big current draw compared to to the 4 pots.

On 7/29/2022 at 10:01 PM, Hamish said:

This is a good small alternator 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143548367716?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=aO0GUP9IQ0W&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=33-Tg7STSaq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

this is a great and effective fitting kit

https://www.racetorations.co.uk/product/alternator-fitting-kit-tr2-4a/

then, if not done already,  you do the narrow belt kit. 

then alter the wiring

if I can do it ANYONE can. 

Hamish, I've looked at these smaller units before but they have always been expensive...not anymore by the looks of that one!

Have you experience of this item? I seem to get through alternators and I may go down this route next time. Mine seem to be incredibly hot, even with heat shields/ducting etc after a run you can't touch the pulley net alone the body of it!

I have one theory but to shy to explain it just yet because I haven't done all my research....but I'm on the case today!

3 hours ago, Nigel C said:

Hamish, I've looked at these smaller units before but they have always been expensive...not anymore by the looks of that one!

Have you experience of this item? I seem to get through alternators and I may go down this route next time. Mine seem to be incredibly hot, even with heat shields/ducting etc after a run you can't touch the pulley net alone the body of it!

I have one theory but to shy to explain it just yet because I haven't done all my research....but I'm on the case today!

I used a similarly priced Brise version when I converted and it worked well until loton park sprint this year where I shook it up on a run and an internal wire broke. I ordered a new alt from eBay as I was racing the following weekend but fixed the original in the mean time. So for the convenience and cost I now have a spare. 

the eBay one looks the same and has the same connections. 

one thing tho. You really don’t want the belt too tight.

H

Edited by Hamish
6 hours ago, Hamish said:

I used a similarly priced Brise version when I converted and it worked well until loton park sprint this year where I shook it up on a run and an internal wire broke. I ordered a new alt from eBay as I was racing the following weekend but fixed the original in the mean time. So for the convenience and cost I now have a spare. 

the eBay one looks the same and has the same connections. 

H

I fully rebuilt this engine to concours standard and jury rigged it up to start the engine up. Sounded real nice.

TR4 was not really me so sold on as a project car. Took me a time to get the OFENHAUSER  rocker cover from LA and bought the last two they had (one for a mate) and they do not make them for a TR5 until now and a mate is making one up for me. Icing on the cake!

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

20200714_095800_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, Nigel C said:

Why not (not that I do TBH) does the front lug break?

Puts undue pressure on the water pump. Alternator (bearings) and the belt. IMO

27 minutes ago, harrytr5 said:

I fully rebuilt this engine to concours standard and jury rigged it up to start the engine up. Sounded real nice.

TR4 was not really me so sold on as a project car. Took me a time to get the OFENHAUSER  rocker cover from LA and bought the last two they had (one for a mate) and they do not make them for a TR5 until now and a mate is making one up for me. Icing on the cake!

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

20200714_095800_resized.jpg

Harry - lovely looking engine - the rocker cover and carbs really set it off!!

Cheers Rich

42 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Puts undue pressure on the water pump. Alternator (bearings) and the belt. IMO

yea, I agree, Mine just squeaked once or twice if its on a very heavy load so I reckon that's just about right

And Harry I've always promised myself one of those rocker covers one day :unsure: