Fitted a replacement electric fan to the TR7 yesterday. The fan is new, but from an unknown modern.

I thought the images attached were some sort of variable speed controller so didn't use the component. When I tested the fan it blew the 15A fuse, then a 20A but is ok on 25A but that seems a lot (it is through a relay and has 25A wiring before someone asks).

I was wondering if this device is maybe some sort of soft-start component and maybe I should put it back in circuit.

Jerry

Fan controller_1.jpg

Fan controller_2.jpg

Looks like a big wire-wound resistor but there is also something smaller underneath that doesn't show up well on those photos.  It will  get very hot  hence the ceramic base.  I would guess it goes in series with the motor to slow it down. 

Edited by RobH

Hi Jerry

these motors take a big current draw on start up and then settle down to a steady rate.  EG - 25A on start and 5 or 10amp steady.

Have you tried measuring the current after start up.  I can't believe , on a modern car, that they would have that resistor in circuit all the time.

Roge

Does that say "R59K" at the bottom?

I would guess the green bit is just a 59K ohm resistor.  But isn't 59K a high value to be in series with a 12v motor, meaning the voltage drop across the resistor would be quite high leaving not a lot for the motor.

Charlie.

More  likely  R59 or 0.59 Ohms  Charlie. You can see the heavy wire winding so there isn't much resistance there.  I don't think the 'K' is a multiplier in this case. At 10A that would drop 5.9volts  which seems feasible. 

I still can't make out what that blue thing is underneath the resistor. It could be a thermal switch or fuse of some kind, or maybe even a diode. - but it looks to be in series.  

Probably all immaterial anyway if the fan runs OK without the resistor. 

It seems they are commonly used for two-speed operation e.g.:

https://www.carid.com/mopar/engine-cooling-fan-resistor-mpn-68054677aa.html

1 hour ago, RobH said:

You can see the heavy wire winding so there isn't much resistance there.

Point taken.

I looked up "ZDSA-S1" and found reference to many heater motor resistances. (and radiator fan motor ones.)

http://www.ske.com.cn/2018en/products_show.asp?id=444&BigClass=Engine_Cooler_Blower_Resistor

Looks to me like the component at the bottom is a diode (To stop the motor going backwards????)

Charlie

4 hours ago, RobH said:

Looks like a big wire-wound resistor but there is also something smaller underneath that doesn't show up well on those photos.  It will  get very hot  hence the ceramic base.  I would guess it goes in series with the motor to slow it down. 

The small cylindrical thing underneath the resistor looks like a thermal fuse to me.

Bob

I noticed on several of the items I looked at before that all I could make out were the letters “250V 10A”

Putting that, along with Bob’s words “Thermal fuse”, into Google I came up with things like this.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32743808745.html

So there we go.

Charlie

You boys are good. Sorry, should have said, it's the radiator fan.

So the consensus is that it's basically a resistor to provide a variable (or two stage) cooling fan, which is what I originally assumed but then had second thoughts when it drew so much current. I'll check the current once it's running as Roger suggested.

Cheers, Jerry

1137903567_Radfan_1.thumb.jpg.93919fc0d35181f1449831d5247c75bf.jpg

Could the device be used to provide a ‘slow start’ to reduce initial current load?

ie when the computer decides to start the fan it initially provides power via the resistor to reduce startup current then after a few seconds ( once the motor is spinning) the computer switches out the resistor and the fan spins up to full speed?

steve