Family Tree program

11 minutes ago, stillp said:

BOGOFF, Baptise one get one free?

Pete

:P

Having initiated this Topic, I have been enthralled by all the subsequent postings - most enlightening.

I decided that as I was not going to be going into the sort of depths that Sue and others have pursued, I would download the free offering from familytreebuilder, and today I have started to insert some people.

I was surprised and delighted (and somewhat daunted!) when it showed me some 47 related people, most of whom I shall not pursue, and supplied the DoB for my paternal grandma (I had just the year).

My aunt (father's sister) was widowed and subsequently re-married, and it treats her first husband as "Partner".  Perhaps as I learn more I may find a fix for this.

A query on Excel: I am aware that its dates run from 1900, but I created a simple sheet with dates for Birth, Marriage and Death, and wanted it to display age at death in years.  The formula I have created works if DoB is this side of 01/01/1900, but cannot cope with those born prior to that.

The formula I have created is   =IF(F5="","",DATEDIF(C5,F5,"Y"))   where column F is DoD and column C is DoB.  It leaves a blank if the person still lives.

Any suggestion as to how to make it work for earlier dates?

Thanks very much for the advice, and keep the stories coming!

Ian Cornish

3 minutes ago, ianc said:

Thanks very much for the advice, and keep the stories coming!

Can't help with Excel I'm afraid, but I can keep supplying stories until you're bored mindless!

Maternal great-grandfather Alfred George Wyatt gave his birthplace on census returns as Harwich, although he was actually born in Great Oakley. He was a merchant seaman, so when I was at the Essex Record office I asked the archivist if there was any way to search for the vessels he'd sailed on. I was told they had crew lists for ships registered in Harwich - 42 boxes of them - but had never known anyone to find a relative in them. (This was long before ships' crew lists were searchable online, of which more later*) Well, I thought I'd give it a try, so asked for a sample year. The second or third list I looked at had his name, age, birthplace (again given as Harwich) and name of his previous ship, so I went and told the archivist and asked for the previous box - he told the other staff "This chap's lucky, he just found somebody in a crew list", and two of them watched as I found him again. The same happened twice more, by which time I had quite an audience - reminded me of a film in which Frank Sinatra is shooting dice in Las Vegas with a crowd cheering him on! That came to an end when the 'Name of previous vessel' was one registered in Cambridge, so a trip to their record office, who told me the same story of very little chance to find someone, but after a bit of an issue getting the name of the vessel right I found him there as well! Previous vessel - Essex again! Ran out of luck there, the crew list was missing, and Kew only keeps about 10% of the Admiralty copies of British crew lists, the remainder being kept in Newfoundland. They sent me (not free) a copy, and that of his supposed previous ship, a brand new one, but he wasn't listed, so I imagine that the first one from Newfoundland was actually his first ship (he was 14 at the time) and when he signed on he was asked for the name of his previous ship and not wanting to be seen as inexperienced he gave the name of the ship that had just left the port!

So, I know all his voyages from 1866 to 1869, and a few later ones. I can also tell when he learned to write his own name rather than making an X. I found a few more recent voyages in 1884 and 1885, but there is a big gap when I can't locate him. Time I did some more searching! I do have some more information about him, he set up a seaman's hostel and a cafe in Barry.

*I volunteered as a transcriber for the Crew List Indexing Project (CLIP) which went online at www.crewlist.org.uk but didn't find him at all and had to give up transcribing due to a shoulder problem.

Are you bored yet?

Pete

Definitely not bored, Pete.  Keep the stories coming!

I am impressed that familytreebuilder spotted that I had made mistakes in the some of the dates which I had entered, and sent me an email giving the reason in each case.

Ian Cornish

On 1/29/2022 at 9:55 AM, stillp said:

OK Sue, but what does the "<1% shared DNA" mean?

Pete

It's quite easy to get involved with some rather distant relatives - I've been looking at the military history (including the award of a Military Cross) of my (take a deep breath) Husband of niece of husband of 1st cousin twice removed of wife of my 1st great-uncle. 

It's a pity I don't any longer get paid to attend meetings at BSI as I could usually get down to Kew for a few hours at The National Archives.

Pete

Pete, excuse all  theadds, this is a good explanation of how we inherit and pass on our DNA https://whoareyoumadeof.com/blog/how-many-segments-are-in-dna/

Edited by SuzanneH

BOGOF baptisms.

Alleluiuah!  Another one saved from the burning fire!   That'll be half a crown please.

Back to FindMyPast and the 1921 Census.   I decided to subscribe, and pay an annual fee, because otherwise each page of the census you look at costs £3.50.     Then I discovered that each page still costs you £3.50!     

It was the other way at Ancestry, subscribe and free views!   Sharks @ FindMyPast!

Edited by john.r.davies
20 hours ago, ianc said:

The formula I have created is   =IF(F5="","",DATEDIF(C5,F5,"Y"))   where column F is DoD and column C is DoB.  It leaves a blank if the person still lives.

Any suggestion as to how to make it work for earlier dates?

I'm more at home with MS Access than Excel, but I just found this :

https://www.mrexcel.com/excel-tips/deal-with-dates-before-1900/

May help.

Charlie

2 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

BOGOF baptisms.

Alleluiuah!  Another one saved from the burning fire!   That'll be half a crown please.

Back to FindMyPast and the 1921 Census.   I decided to subscribe, and pay an annual fee, because otherwise each page of the census you look at costs £3.50.     Then I discovered that each page still costs you £3.50!     

It was the other way at Ancestry, subscribe and free views!   Sharks @ FindMyPast!

I agree about FMP. They were the same with the 1939 Register, until Ancestry started including it in their subscription. I don't think Ancestry have the 1921 census yet though. I mostly stayed with FMP because of the newspaper access, but that doesn't always work, and when it does the OCR and the search function are so poor that it's not much use. I'd actually meant to cancel last year, but they charged my credit card without telling me, so I'll stick with them until November.

Pete

22 hours ago, stillp said:

*I volunteered as a transcriber for the Crew List Indexing Project (CLIP) which went online at www.crewlist.org.uk but didn't find him at all and had to give up transcribing due to a shoulder problem.

Are you bored yet?

Pete

Hi Pete,

in your role as a TRanscriber are you concerned about TRansphobia

Roger

Typo !!!

Edited by RogerH

Hi Ian,

I also found Charlie D's 'Mr Excel' site. I've managed to produce a spreadsheet which will calculate age at death for all date ranges but I can't attach the spreadsheet and get it to open!<_<

I'll PM you.

Pete

Edited by Peter S
Attached (and now removed) spreadsheet not opening.