& Another ‘New Game’: Can you name this car?

9 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Is this descending into 

”that’s uglier than my neighbour’s wife”  ?

IMG_0427.jpeg

Very similar to the one Restorations had twas French with a very interesting Race History.

Ain't that like Life?  Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. 

Those are most impressive creations!  Which AI did you use?

John 

10 hours ago, Deggers said:

AI art is an odd beast. If you can describe something, a computer algorithum can probably stitch it together. Trouble is, you never know quite what you're going to get :D. But it's improving at a dizzying pace. In technology terms, AI has advanced an entire generation in a matter of months, and the results are getting pretty convincing. 

A quick example, here are five pictures of classics at the Bonneville salt flats, Utah. 

However, can you spot the odd one out?

SaltBon3B.thumb.jpg.65bd243ca0d7d9a2725a417a2450c482.jpg

SaltBon4A.thumb.jpg.78f106192b2caa6752c5530aecc4a4c7.jpg

SaltBon2A.thumb.jpg.f05e5d7eb475ffcefb9a3d6c40042298.jpg

SaltBon6A.thumb.jpg.0a92b78000a8cc549d2e9fac69db3b13.jpg

Salt2A.thumb.jpg.a7c7823b1c704acb4a5b4a0595190e23.jpg

The odd one out?  The last one.

It is the only picture of the five not created by AI.  (Mike Osteriech's Plymouth Fury, August 2014). 

Impressive stuff. I quite like the 4th one. Looks like a heavyweight illegitimate child of an E-type Jag and a Ferrari GTO!  :lol:

Deggers

Unbelievable Deggers, I thought that the third one looked a bit clean and shiny. - For my ‘learning curve, the real car has a dent in the rear door; would this not happen if AI (unless I suppose you told it)?

On a similar note, I really couldn’t tell if this ‘porky’ was actually rusty and worn or (more likely I suspect) ‘painted on’ along with the ‘grime’?

IMG_5110.thumb.jpeg.082ebd6e0cd9cd0d88c3cedf2c467483.jpeg

That’s probably a wrap on the Porsche 

16 hours ago, Hamish said:

That’s probably a wrap on the Porsche 

It is as the roof is immaculate.

Stuart.

On 1/16/2024 at 7:40 PM, Tony_C said:

. . . I really couldn’t tell if this ‘porky’ was actually rusty and worn or (more likely I suspect) ‘painted on’ along with the ‘grime’?

Sorry Tony, missed this one. (Long day at work!). But looks like Stuart and Hamish already called it.    + 3 for the wrap!

On 1/16/2024 at 12:49 PM, john.r.davies said:

Ain't that like Life?  Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. 

Those are most impressive creations!  Which AI did you use?

Very true John, "like a box of chocolates" (to quote Mr. Gump). :)

The images of the cars at Bonneville were created by Toronto based photojournalist Rennie Wood. (You can find more examples of his work on Instagram, here : automotive.ai

Although still in its infancy, there are already three big hitters in the AI Art genre, garnering a lot of global attention: namely Stable Diffusion XL, DALL-E 3, and Midjourney 6. Each has their own strength (such as artistic stylised imagery, photo realism etc), but all three are mind-blowingly impressive.

As Tony mentioned, it's a steep learning curve. But if you're interested in jumping down the rabbit hole, Youtube (as always) has some great videos on how to get started. For higher quality programs like the three mentioned above, you will need to sign up for a paid monthly or yearly subscription. Click HERE for a recent side-by-side comparison video on Youtube.

On 1/16/2024 at 7:40 PM, Tony_C said:

For my learning curve, the real car has a dent in the rear door; would this not happen in AI (unless I suppose you told it)?

It depends entirely what you choose to include in your description, or "prompt". 

A prompt can be as simple as “draw a blue car on the Bonnevile Salt Flats”, and the AI will offer you its interpretation (which may or may not appear real, stylised, or include a pranged door). ^_^ Importantly, the quality of your images will be determined by the quality of your original prompts. The more specific the details, the better. 

For example, here’s another image from Rennie Wood. 

Desert1.thumb.jpg.30601a01965e477351b43d4e10f5c432.jpg

To achieve a level of photo realism like this, his original prompt would've been highly detailed: not only regarding the car itself, but also concerning the photographic style, the depth of field, the shutter speed and colour grading etc. Probably including details such as, “1950/60s style American muscle car, Mercedes 300 SL, red peeling paintwork, sun-faded, dusty, number decal on door, midday, clear sky, light clouds, Bonneville salt flats, desert, distant hills, hyper realistic photography, shallow depth of field, taken with Canon EOS R camera with 50mm f/1.8 lens, f/2.2 aperture, shutter speed 1/200s, ISO 100, natural light, cinematic, colour grading” etc.

Impressive as this is, if you know what to look for, there are one or two clues that point to these and other images being created by AI. Often, you'll notice words and phrases look a bit curious, such as the lettering of signs or license plate numbers. (Ever heard of a "PAONDAI"?) However, that said, it is nothing short of incredible that images like this can be created solely from a text description.

It's going to be an interesting year for the advance of AI (probably in almost all aspects of life, one way or another).

And, also increasingly difficult for us to determine what is real, and what’s not.

Deggers

Edited by Deggers

I think I'll be quite happy with Bing!   When to achieve that degree of realism demands that even a skilled photographer  becomes merely a semnticist!

Bing has its' quirks though.  I wanted a new avatar, but Bing refused, saying that "gorilla" was a banned word!

John

9 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

I wanted a new avatar, but Bing refused, saying that "gorilla" was a banned word!

No such trouble with  Duck-Duck-Go:

gorr.jpg.1cbaeb74134f8c0bc0c8708c0f7228a5.jpg

Rob, I think Duck-Duck is a webcrawler, like Google, it finds images from the web, rather than making original ones.

Bing has relented:

OIG_fi.thumb.jpg.a70bfef6c6df61e4e45e8188f482734a.jpg

But Favourite is a real picture, from the family album:

6_CATERS_WORLDS_SEXIEST_GORILLA_7-768x1150.thumb.jpg.a729038e087a030acbf1b9701afdf0d8.jpg

Kissy, kissy!

John 

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Rob, I think Duck-Duck is a webcrawler, like Google, it finds images from the web, rather than making original ones.

Ah - confusion reigns.

'Bing' the app is just a search engine too John, in fact DDG uses Bing in part but doesn't allow tracking.

I think you must have used Image Creator for that picture - it is a different app linked to when you select 'image' and then 'create' from the Bing search engine front page - just another interlinked part of the Microsoft world which the Bing name now encompasses, so it wasn't 'Bing the search engine' denying use of the word as I had assumed. 

Edited by RobH

Rob , sorry I wasn't clear!   Bing the search engine is a pain, showing a pageful of sponsored ads before any actual hits.  BIC (?Bing Image Creator) for the space silverback, but Kissy is a real photo!

Google has "Imagen", but it's not online (unless you get onto the Cloud), takes up 350Mb and hours to down load!

John

Edited by john.r.davies
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Miglia Speedster kit. But where I couldn’t say

3 hours ago, RobH said:

Longford Country Club Hotel, Tasmania.  

Well done Rob.  Clearly not as challenging as I thought - or have you been there?

But what's the car?

Edited by Ian Vincent

No not been there but Google is your friend (sometimes) Ian.   I thought Hamish had got the car - Spifire based I think? 

18 hours ago, RobH said:

...I thought Hamish had got the car - Spifire based I think? ...

This is a picture of the Triumph based kit called Miglia Speedster by a company called "Old number 7".

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285167338964

But is it the same as the one at the country club?

I think the bonnet does not come so far forward, and there are indicator lamps on the one in Tasmania.

oldnumber7.jpg

Edited by Charlie D

To put you out of youyr misery, the Tasmania car is based upon a TR2.

See the following link on tr-register.com.au web site.

TR2 Special

I've also attached three more photos.

Rgds Ian

PS In the unlikely event that you are ever in Tasmania, the Hotel (Pub) is worth a visit.

IMG_5315.jpeg

IMG_5317 (1).jpeg

IMG_5318.jpeg

Edited by Ian Vincent