Spare Wheel not Fitting in Boot

Not the early V40.  With 15” tyres/rims

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165235846665?hash=item2678d2ee09:g:8BEAAOSwGnphrTm2

And yes a 6-10 mm spacer adds a bit of outward location for cosmetics but is not critical as the wheel does not impinge on the big 10” drum or the TR6 front caliper. ( on my car)

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I knew about the Volvo emergency wheel and I also suggested it here.

But I don’t have one because the boot of my TR is full with parts and tools.

Just one question: did anybody with wire wheels try to fit it?

Are the studs long enought?

Ciao, Marco

1 hour ago, Z320 said:

I knew about the Volvo emergency wheel and I also suggested it here.

But I don’t have one because the boot of my TR is full with parts and tools.

Just one question: did anybody with wire wheels try to fit it?

Are the studs long enought?

Ciao, Marco

The retaining nuts must be a bigger diameter than the wire wheel adaptor nuts or the wheel might pull over the nuts.   
Yes the shortened studs are just long enough but would not be considered to be safe if you use original wheel nuts for steel wheels.   You need fully threaded nuts, the originals have the first 2/3 threads removed to ease fitting.  Simple to re taper on a lathe so full threads start at the nut taper face.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Well here we are after much grinding of teath and the disapproval of all the Mr men at using the original sized tyre as a space saver, we are now driving around on a damaged tyre full of glue or an even narrower tyre from a completely different vehicle,:o

George 

In the 40 years of driving my TR6, I have had one flat. First drive after a multi month change of various things and I didn't have my jack or lug nut wrench. In the time to walk to a phone and back, (30 minutes), the car had already been towed. I have the all of that in the trunk along with the 155 series spare tire (same outside dia as the rest of the tires) on a TR rim. That tire is used on old VW bugs, a 1900lb kerb weight car. So, I can't see how this tire if it is ever used would be even remotely stressed as long as I don't exceed the 112 mph speed rating.  Upside, flat floor trunk, downside, a set of lug nuts in the boot and a problem of where to put the flat tire that comes off. Worst case, stuff it behind the front seats. Like any modern car with a donut, I would restrict my goings on until I got back to proper configuration. 

George,

when ever you are with a flat tire in an emergency situation

I will give you my bottle of glue and my 12 V compressor as a present.

And than I will say: „no thank you“?

Edited by Z320
5 minutes ago, CK's TR6 said:

In the 40 years of driving my TR6, I have had one flat.

Lucky chap. I've had two in 12 years on the TR and three on the daily driver.  Perhaps you don't have 'white van man' liberally dropping nails and screws on the roads in your neck of the woods......:angry:

I guess. One flat on the XK8, donut tire on a 4000lb car. Drove judiciously home 25 miles on side roads. Non event. I have driven my TR all over AZ, CA, NM and up through OR, WA, back down then through NM, KA, and up to ND. I have probably put over 175,000 miles on the car. IDK anything about how UK tradies leave nails in the road, do they do that on purpose?

21 minutes ago, Z320 said:

George,

when ever you are with a flat tire in an emergency situation

I will give you my bottle of glue and my 12 V compressor as a present.

And than I will say: „no thank you“?

Hi Z320

I would ofcourse gratefully accept your kind offer to get on my way and buy you a beer

My point was not to criticise alternative spare wheels but to query why an original sized spare that did not match the width of the other tyres drew criticism yet glue and very narrow space savers did not.

George 

14 minutes ago, CK's TR6 said:

IDK anything about how UK tradies leave nails in the road, do they do that on purpose?

No  - just carelessness when loading and unloading the vans I think.  

On 12/15/2021 at 9:20 PM, rwest said:

I respectfully disagree. My brakes can out-perform my tyres, so the extra width of 195's do make a significant difference IMHO.

Cheers, Robert

You must have upgraded brakes then! But the subject of this post is about trying to fit an oversize tyre into the standard wheel well! But I'm still correct that modern 165 tyres compounds are 'night and day' better in all respects of compound and grip to what we had back in day. I've had my TR6 since 1972. :P