Old Plates now completed

Made some old fashioned number plates for my TR4 (as seen on Facebook!) getting the digits is really difficult these days. Trawling Ebay for them took forever, several different suppliers made up the total, the number 7 took a long time to attain.  Doesn't seem that long ago that you could buy as many as you wanted at a show, but not now. Also only black digits were available, so had to get them painted a creamy white.

The alloy backplates took a while to sort out and they are "Mostly" in line, and look like 1964 examples, and here they are I hope.

P1080702.jpg

P1080703.jpg

They look good, but I’m really surprised at the problem you had getting them.

I suppose that there is so little demand, but it would be relatively easy to take moulds off each genuine letter and number and then cast them in resin or whatever. Putting the pins on the back might be a bit of a hassle, but by no means impossible.

Were the ones you got new old stock, or were they reproduction?

Charlie.

Very smart, Pete, but rather too shiny and new-looking for me!  Would need to don dark glasses if following you.

I like my rather scruffy-looking originals from 1964, especially the very narrow plate at the front - it hasn't been sawn off, it was made that small.

Ian Cornish

Darren Cummings-1280.jpg

15 hours ago, Charlie D said:

They look good, but I’m really surprised at the problem you had getting them.

I suppose that there is so little demand, but it would be relatively easy to take moulds off each genuine letter and number and then cast them in resin or whatever. Putting the pins on the back might be a bit of a hassle, but by no means impossible.

Were the ones you got new old stock, or were they reproduction?

Charlie.

All sourced from different sellers on Ebay Charlie

12 hours ago, ianc said:

Very smart, Pete, but rather too shiny and new-looking for me!  Would need to don dark glasses if following you.

I like my rather scruffy-looking originals from 1964, especially the very narrow plate at the front - it hasn't been sawn off, it was made that small.

Ian Cornish

Darren Cummings-1280.jpg

If I had known that a narrower one  would pass muster I would have copied yours Ian.

17 hours ago, pfenlon said:

Made some old fashioned number plates for my TR4 (as seen on Facebook!) getting the digits is really difficult these days. Trawling Ebay for them took forever, several different suppliers made up the total, the number 7 took a long time to attain.  Doesn't seem that long ago that you could buy as many as you wanted at a show, but not now. Also only black digits were available, so had to get them painted a creamy white.

The alloy backplates took a while to sort out and they are "Mostly" in line, and look like 1964 examples, and here they are I hope.

P1080702.jpg

P1080703.jpg

As ever Pete, a brilliant job. Well done.

Rgds Ian

PS Does the “I hope” refer to the photos appearing in the post or the plates looking like genuine 1964 ones? 

Edited by Ian Vincent
35 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

As ever Pete, a brilliant job. Well done.

Rgds Ian

PS Does the “I hope” refer to the photos appearing in the post or the plates looking like genuine 1964 ones? 

Getting the picture on screen (IT isn't my best bag), well spotted sir.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas all,

Phil the rules for the spacing are spelt out in a DVLA publication INF 104. The spacings and font sizes for the pre-1973 are given on page 10 under Group 2

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/955014/vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates-inf104.pdf

Cheers

Derek

Edited by saffrontr
website address
  • 10 months later...
On 11/30/2021 at 4:31 PM, pfenlon said:

P1080702.jpg

P1080703.jpg

They look really good. I’m interested in how you mounted the rear plate to the boot lid. I’m assuming they are the riveted type. When my boot lid was repaired (brew bottom part) the number plate was fixed using double sided stickies. I’d like plates like these, but don’t want the riveted backs to damage the paint. 

greg