More on K & N HP-2009 oil filter

AS this filter is being used by a number of us who have a spin on adapter fitted, I found this while doing a search:

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/hp-2009-oil-filter

I note that it has a PRV set at 11- 14 PSI  I presume that meant that if the filter has more than that figure across it then it will allow unfiltered oil to pass through.

I also found this:

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgc-forum.48/k-and-n-hp-2009-oil-filters.4087595/

Quite interesting I thought.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

That is interesting Bob

i use the hp-2009 so went and checked my stock - 6 holes and ‘made in usa’ 

i couldnt see all the filter photos on the mg website as i’m not a member.......

Steve

29 minutes ago, Lebro said:

I note that it has a PRV set at 11- 14 PSI 

I would think that if you had that sort of pressure drop across the filter, you've either left it a few too many years between filter changes or the oil you are using is like treacle.  I guess that number will have been chosen to prevent the filter medium from being blown apart on very cold starts?

I've just checked the two spares I have and found they are one of each. A Mexico one with eight holes and a USA one with six. 

My investigation was because of my recent pressure drop experience. I'm sure the cause was the TR PRV not closing properly, but why.

One theory was if unfiltered oil was passing through it, there may have been a small particle trapped between ball & seat.

I think I will change the filter anyway, the oil looks completely clean on the dipstick.

Bob.

8 minutes ago, Lebro said:

My investigation was because of my recent pressure drop experience. I'm sure the cause was the TR PRV not closing properly, but why.

One theory was if unfiltered oil was passing through it, there may have been a small particle trapped between ball & seat.

I think I will change the filter anyway, the oil looks completely clean on the dipstick.

Bob.

That’s why I said change the oil and filter and inspect the oil. I have seen it before after engine rebuilt it only takes a small amount of swarf to do it 

I use K&N HP-2009 as well; I happened to replace my oil and filter today, I was not aware of the different versions (thanks Bob), mine are all the Mexican 8 hole version, good quality appearance (as you would expect). 
I ordered several in one order from Moss about 3 years ago.

I do not know if the total crossectional area of these hoses is critical for our engines. Only K&N will (really) know I guess.

Waldi

just gone looking for SP2009  and euro car parts list it as a Product Code: 508771531

Is this the same one as it doesn't say anywhere its an SP2009? Oh and as for asking me what my reg number, make and model to speed up the process :lol:

I bought two for stock some time ago and it looks like I have one of each. 
Regardless of the number of holes it looks like either type is capable of flow capacities well in excess of the standard pump. 

The one I fitted yesterday was Mexican (8 holes), I ordered 3 more yesterday (for stock) & they arrived today, & the latest ones are made in USA, & have 6 holes.

I can't see it would make any difference. they both look to be of equal quality.

Bob.

In 40 odd years I had Bob's problem of sudden oil pressure loss twice. The first time I stopped the car immediately and checked it over, the oil level was fine and there had ben no untoward noises or exhaust smoke/steam accompanying the pressure loss. I restarted the engine and drove home about ten miles using minimal revs with the gauge showing about 15psi.  The following morning I started the engine and immediately had full pressure and I reasoned that maybe the PRV had been held open by some foreign matter that had been blown out when I started the engine with cold oil. I later removed the PRV to strip and clean it and noticed that the fibre washer on which it was seated had begun to break up, no doubt it was a piece of this that had got stuck under the ball. I replaced it with a Viton 'O' ring. Many years later I experienced the same sudden pressure loss with no other symptoms, stripped and cleaned the PRV and all was well. More recently I replaced my oil cooler with a second hand one, having first pressure tested it to about ten bar. On my first subsequent run after the fitment I had the PRV issue, which was repeated twice more after stripping and cleaning the valve. I realised I had been penny wise and pound foolish and must have introduced some **** in the replacement cooler. I drained the oil and filtered it through some fine gauze finding a lot of non-magnetic metallic swarf, I dropped the sump only to find the same so cleaned this thoroughly. The oil filter element had done it's job, also being absolutely covered in swarf. I reassembled, replaced the duly filtered oil and  a new filter and had no further issues.

Tim