Hood & Tonneau Fasteners

As a sidescreen virgin, forgive the ignorance. I am wondering why it is that there are Tenax fasteners on the screen front and lift-the-dot everywhere else.

Is there a reason why there are not Tenax everywhere? Personally I like the look of the tenax female component when in place vs the LTD equivalent?

Supplementary question: I have ordered a trim kit and am looking forward to fitting it. However there is no kit for the side screens. is this a job (trim a sidescreen) that an adventurous amateur could do or is it best left to a professional (if one can be found?)

Welcome advice.

John

There are companies who will cover side screens. You need someone who specializes because there is a  machine needed for the stitching. Your regular local trim shop will not be able to help.  It is not cheap and you need to make sure that the existing fit is neat  with the screen and the hood, and that there will be no alterations to the door mountings/hinges etc.

Good luck

Richard  & B.

I managed to do my own side screens but could not sew the window in at the front as I could not get the frame under the needle of the machine, instead I used another metal stiffener intended for the rear of the cobex window to give some strength.. I made a small mistake on the first one which helped me get the second one better. Like all these things if you were doing them all the time it would get easier. I think they look alright and they have fitted well, but I would not like to do them for a "paying" customer, sorry. In the end by the time I had purchased the hood quality vinyl and thread, windows and channels they probably cost me about £100 each and a day per side.

20210119_165605.jpg

8 hours ago, John Reilly said:

As a sidescreen virgin, forgive the ignorance. I am wondering why it is that there are Tenax fasteners on the screen front and lift-the-dot everywhere else.

Is there a reason why there are not Tenax everywhere? Personally I like the look of the tenax female component when in place vs the LTD equivalent?

Supplementary question: I have ordered a trim kit and am looking forward to fitting it. However there is no kit for the side screens. is this a job (trim a sidescreen) that an adventurous amateur could do or is it best left to a professional (if one can be found?)

Welcome advice.

John

I have an early TR2 with tenax and a later TR2 with lift the dot.

Early TR2s had tenax all round. They are a bit of a pain especially with cold wet fingers. Lift the dot is more convenient and usable.

You will need a big sewing machine to do a sidescreen and it needs to be made to fit the hole with the top on the car.

I had to replace the front plastic on one of my side screens (old one had cracked)  I used thin polycarbonate sheet as:

1) I had some, & 2) it is much stronger than the original.

To sew in the front I used a "Dremmel" type hand drill to make small holes in the plastic to line up with original holes in the vinyl, then hand stiched using strong "button" thread.  Still solid after 5 years.

Bob.

Thanks you all for the responses.

My hood will be mohair, are sidescreens usually trimmed with the same material as the hood?

Perhaps I should order spare mohair to come with the hood so I will have it for the screens. Any idea how much I might need.

I suppose the idea is to beat the screens (bare metal frame) into the shape required after the hood is properly in position before getting it trimmed. I guess I will have to try and get a look at a car that has them fitted so I understand the clearances etc

I think I will have to send my frames to the UK to get them done as I do not know anyone in ireland who does that sort of thing.

Any recommendations?

John

Definitely yes to beating the frames into shape before getting them covered. You will almost certainly need to adjust the shape of the legs to hold them in the correct vertical alignment with the the winsdcreen.

Rgds Ian

On 3/18/2021 at 5:03 AM, John Reilly said:

My hood will be mohair, are sidescreens usually trimmed with the same material as the hood?

Perhaps I should order spare mohair to come with the hood so I will have it for the screens. Any idea how much I might need.

I suppose the idea is to beat the screens (bare metal frame) into the shape required after the hood is properly in position before getting it trimmed. I guess I will have to try and get a look at a car that has them fitted so I understand the clearances etc

I think I will have to send my frames to the UK to get them done as I do not know anyone in ireland who does that sort of thing.

Any recommendations?

John

It might be unusual to get some Ireland advice from an Australian.

Give Jackie Cochrane a try. https://www.jcrestorations.co.uk/

My wife and I called in to meet Jackie a couple of years ago. He has a superb restoration business in Armagh and was doing a TR2 when I visited.

He might not do smaller jobs like that but he was a delightful man who showed us great Irish hospitality. He won't mind you asking, and if you are near you should visit. He has probably the best private collection of classics I've seen.

Edited by John McCormack

One thing has come to my notice about the LTD fasteners. I re used some original studs along the back of my hood, and they have a much flatter end and sharper ridge for the female part to go over. However the new female parts supplied now do not like to go on these original studs, but are ok on the new studs which are more rounded at the end and seem to feed in easier. I wish now I had replaced these with new ones, but to change now means removing the hood frame, i/4 trim panels, and rear capping.

Ralph

3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

One thing has come to my notice about the LTD fasteners. I re used some original studs along the back of my hood, and they have a much flatter end and sharper ridge for the female part to go over. However the new female parts supplied now do not like to go on these original studs, but are ok on the new studs which are more rounded at the end and seem to feed in easier. I wish now I had replaced these with new ones, but to change now means removing the hood frame, i/4 trim panels, and rear capping.

Ralph

Those original studs were like that for a reason to give extra clearance when a hardtop was fitted, the new lift the dot females will work with them theyre just a bit stiffer and more positive location.

Stuart.

17 hours ago, John Reilly said:

Hi John,

You need a surprisingly large amount of material because of the wasteful way in which it has to be cut.

I was told about 2.5mtrs was required in standard 1.52mtr width (I used ‘Stayfast’ which is a cheaper but slightly more workable version of genuine mohair).

I actually ordered 3mtrs and managed to have enough left to get a matching Hood Stick Cover made (it was only just sufficient).

I  hasten to add that I DID NOT cover the frames myself - I got them done through RevingtonTR who in turn outsourced the work. Not cheap !! But great job.

Good luck.

Chris

Just now, cjstoodley said:

Hi John,

You need a surprisingly large amount of material because of the wasteful way in which it has to be cut.

I was told about 2.5mtrs was required in standard 1.52mtr width (I used ‘Stayfast’ which is a cheaper but slightly more workable version of genuine mohair).

I actually ordered 3mtrs and managed to have enough left to get a matching Hood Stick Cover made (it was only just sufficient).

I  hasten to add that I DID NOT cover the frames myself - I got them done through RevingtonTR who in turn outsourced the work. Not cheap !! But great job.

Good luck.

Chris

Just for clarity, the 2.5mtrs I quoted is for the SIDESCREENS only

Chris

14 hours ago, John Reilly said:

Thank you John, yesterday I sent a text to Pat MacMahon asking him about Jackie Cochran!

Ralph, I will be using new studs on all the body sections. I have the original tenax in the screen and I am wondering if I should renew those as well

John

Pat suggested I visit Jackie. He knows him well.

19 hours ago, John Reilly said:

Thanks Chris.

Do you know if anyone has screens actually trimmed with mohair?

John

John,

I think the term ‘Mohair’ in the context of car hood material is just generic, with the top quality materials being heavier, stiffer and more resilient.

I picked up this little snippet on a web blog:

It seems that there are 3 main qualities of "MOHAIR" available at present. These being,the basic,lower cost and quality,"STAYFAST" followed by the better and more expensive "TWILLFAST" and then topped by the market leader as used on "Mercs, BMWs Porches".."SONNENLAND"

Hope this sheds a bit more light.

Chris

These 3 fabrics originated from a German Company and are, or were marketed by GEBRUDER BROTHERS HAPPICH GmbH. although the USA are, or were supplying good quality copies of these 3 fabrics under the same or similar names.

All the above materials appear to be produced with three ply construction, the center layer being of a "Rubber or Elastomer" type material.

Great bit of research Chris, thank you.

I ordered "Mohair" from John Skinner for both hood and tonneau. I wonder which of the three qualities I will get?

Pity I didn't know when I ordered, I could have been more specific. We live and we learn.

The supplier provides the LTD female fastener components and I am wondering if they have the standard or long "fold over spikes or tangs" 

In my query I was concerned more about getting the screens re-trimmed and wondering if mohair is regarded as "hard to handle" or might put off a trimmer taking the job.

John

1 hour ago, John Reilly said:

Great bit of research Chris, thank you.

I ordered "Mohair" from John Skinner for both hood and tonneau. I wonder which of the three qualities I will get?

Pity I didn't know when I ordered, I could have been more specific. We live and we learn.

The supplier provides the LTD female fastener components and I am wondering if they have the standard or long "fold over spikes or tangs" 

In my query I was concerned more about getting the screens re-trimmed and wondering if mohair is regarded as "hard to handle" or might put off a trimmer taking the job.

John

John Skinner has a very good reputation for quality work, so I’m sure whatever material he uses will be top-end and more than fit for purpose.

I’m sure he can supply the same material to cover the Sidescreens so that they match your other weather gear as and when you get round to getting them done.

Chris

4 hours ago, cjstoodley said:

John Skinner has a very good reputation for quality work, so I’m sure whatever material he uses will be top-end and more than fit for purpose.

I’m sure he can supply the same material to cover the Sidescreens so that they match your other weather gear as and when you get round to getting them done.

Chris

John Skinner provided the material for my sidescreens to match my special order TR2 top. He has gone out of his way to sort out a few issues. Highly recommended.

For a company that know sidescreens and how to cover try Catcott Garage in Somerset.01278 722225.

They also make their own hoods etc to original spec, but made to fit your car. Car has to be left with them. No connection just a satisfied customer.

Iain.

2 hours ago, iain said:

For a company that know sidescreens and how to cover try Catcott Garage in Somerset.01278 722225.

They also make their own hoods etc to original spec, but made to fit your car. Car has to be left with them. No connection just a satisfied customer.

Iain.

Yep definitely recommend them too.

Stuart.