WIRE WHEEL ADAPTER SPACER

My long door TR2 has both disc and wire wheels. I have a set of 6mm spacers to fit behind the spline adapter (against the drum) to accommodate the difference in bolt length needed between the wheel types.

I have heard that there can be a problem with using them. Has anybody any experience of them.

It was a suggestion made to me so that I could carry a normal steel spare wheel, buti n the end I carry another wire wheel so did not need to do it. I have heard of spacers being used, but when you look at how far the wheel is actually mounted away from the hub with a wire wheel adapter anyway, it seems to be placing extra unwanted strain on the studs, but no doubt there will be some on here who have used them for years without any trouble, and I believe Revington market some properly made spacers for just this job with the correct size stud holes and outside diameter.

Ralph

no more stress than on cars using spacers on various ally wheels , which use longer studs and thicker spacers. Must be thousands in use.

Roy

4 hours ago, peter clarke said:

I think you will find that wheel spacers that you describe are not legal in Australia as they were not originally supplied by Triumph

Not quite Pete. 

Here is the NSW Regs.  https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-09-alternative-wheels-tyres.pdf

It says "Wheel spacers or adaptors must not be used for wheel conversions between the wheel mounting face and the wheels unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer."

These spacers fit behind the adapter not between the wheel mounting face, which on our cars are the cones on the adapter, and the wheels. The NSW Regs refer a lot to 4WD vehicles where owners fit thick spacers for whatever reason to push the wheels out. As these 6mm spacers are not fitted between the wheel and wheel mounting face I expect they are not the spacers intended to be subject to this Regulation.

If necessary I have a spare set of hubs and can cut the studs to length but would like to retain the ability to put the disc wheels back on as required.

Edited by John McCormack

My understanding (from Qld transport) was that Triumph provided an adaptor to convert from the original wheel mounting face to wire wheels. Spacers move the position of the Triumph wire wheel adaptor further from the original wheel mounting face and are therefore not legal.

If the short studs and double ended nuts are considered sufficient to hold the wire wheel adapter on, would the same studs and nuts also hold the thinner steel wheels on?. I have always thought the standard wheel nuts were big compared with what other cars used. Not sure if the tapers are the same. I have not tried but also a steel wheel on a shortened stud does a standard nut achieve full thread, ie does the stud come to the end of the nut in which case I would think it was OK.

Ralph

11 minutes ago, tr2_applegreen said:

I would be interested in the TR Shop spacers, as well. https://www.trshop.co.uk/special.html

I am considering to fit 4,5"x15" (60 spokes) wires, in combination with the "hub kit" (spinners) and the additional spacers to my TR2.

Anyone, who already did so? 

They are the spacers I have, they came with the car.

5 hours ago, peter clarke said:

My understanding (from Qld transport) was that Triumph provided an adaptor to convert from the original wheel mounting face to wire wheels. Spacers move the position of the Triumph wire wheel adaptor further from the original wheel mounting face and are therefore not legal.

The interpretation of our local Regs is important but a separate issue. My purpose in this post is to find out any driving issues +ve or -ve with the spacers.

2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

If the short studs and double ended nuts are considered sufficient to hold the wire wheel adapter on, would the same studs and nuts also hold the thinner steel wheels on?. I have always thought the standard wheel nuts were big compared with what other cars used. Not sure if the tapers are the same. I have not tried but also a steel wheel on a shortened stud does a standard nut achieve full thread, ie does the stud come to the end of the nut in which case I would think it was OK.

Ralph

No there is not enough stud when steel wheels are fitted, do not be tempted to do this its dangerous. The reason that the standard wheel studs are big is because when the TR2 first came out they only had small wheel nuts and in competition the wheels pulled over the nuts. So they went to the nuts used through the range afterwards. (FWIW we had the same problems racing Jaguars back in the seventies.)

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I have always thought the standard wheel nuts were big compared with what other cars used.

There is a reason they are big. Wasn't there something about the early smaller nuts pulling through the wheel centres, which is why the size was increased ?

8 minutes ago, RobH said:

There is a reason they are big. Wasn't there something about the early smaller nuts pulling through the wheel centres, which is why the size was increased ?

Just edited my above post to cover that.

Stuart.

The small nuts used for the spline hub adaptors are fine when used as intended. The spline adapter gives a thick and generous surface area to be clamped to the  hubs... it doesn’t deform or flex. The standard steel wheels has both these problems hence these small nuts pulling through them.

Mick Richards