Tr4 sunvisors

Hi all is there anybody that could send me a detailed photo of the sun-visor set up on a TR4 and how it fixes to the screen frame please.

i am trying to get a set  but struggling to sort out the difference between 4 and 4a cheers Clem

Hi Clem,

the 4A with a convertible roof needs a kinked sunvisor bracket - see pic below

This allows the metal work to bend around the roof clamps.

For the TR4 (and the 4A with a surrey top if you wish) ) there is no convertible roof clamp so the bracketry is straight.  I'll try and get a pic t tomorrow.

Roger

DSC_5039a.jpg

Hi Roger, from your photos it is definitely a 4 that I need pics of as the center bracket is straight both sides not bent

Photos of 4VC's sun visors.  Car is early 1962 TR4.  The bar is basically straight, with a slight bend in the centre - but not kinky like Roger's TR4A!

Sorry it's nearly all grey on black - the spare parts on my Dexion racking are more colourful!

BTW Mirror is from a Dolomite - wider than standard TR4.  Should be able to dip it, but mechanism knackered.

Ian Cornish

IMG_5696 (1)-1280.jpg

IMG_5697-1280.jpg

IMG_5698-1280.jpg

IMG_5695-1280.jpg

Edited by ianc
52 minutes ago, Hamish said:

These are on eBay at the moment and suggest for a tr4

Triumph Tr4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333822977380

Roger you can go into business at that price !!

Theyve always been expensive to buy as they dont come up often.

Stuart.

If won, then worth having them powder coated black, as vendor says no extra cost.

It's some years since I removed the visors to shake out of each all the padding which had turned to dust.  I had forgotten that there are 2 rods - not one with a bend in the middle.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc

Roger that’s a great photo thank you it’s what i was looking for.  Thanks everyone for your help. I have the middle bracket but not the ends. The visors themselves are not cheap either. Thanks again everyone for your help and photos much appreciated clem

Correct - the visors themselves are not cheap.  John Skinner made me a pair in 2012, but I had the impression that this was a favour because they were for 4VC and a very good colour match.  Not sure he is doing them any more - but check.

Roger's repro end brackets look - as ever - excellent.

Ian Cornish

John Skinner still do the sun visors but there is a tiny titchy witchy problem.

This is for the purist.

When the two sides of the PVC is squished down around the foam sponge it leaves a very small flash.

For the right side the flash would be one way and for the left hand the flash would be the other - they should be handed, But!!

However John's machine for doing one of the hands broke down quite a while ago so there is now only one hand  eg Right hand only.

This means that one visor has the flashing away from the driver and nearer to the glass. The other side has the flashing nearer to the driver.

It is a very very small issue.  Otherwise they are excellent quality. 

Roger

Edited by RogerH
14 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Amazing - nobody has spotted my Aubergines and Sweet Red Pepper yet

Roger

So that’s what they are !!

oh what a relief ........

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Clem,

this is a pic of the centre bracket on the TR4A

Roger

DSCF0021b.jpg

Roger, i have recently bought a pair of original visors and brackets like the ones pictured here although they need quite a bit of cleaning! Question is fixing to the windscreen frame - I can see the captured nuts at each side and a single hole in the center with i assume also with a captured nut behind. Are these for threaded bolts or self-tapping screws? Thanks, Richard

Hi Richard,

there are fancy Chromed screws (self tapping)  HERE

I think a #8 self tapper would work.

There are square holes in the frame where the  spire nuts sit  HERE   if they are not insitu at present and the vinyl cover is on then simply slit the vinyl and slide them in. The bracket end will cover the slit.

Roger