3 Synchro Overdrive Gearbox Available

Hi All - Conrad recently advertised a used 3 synchro overdrive gearbox on Classifieds which generated quite a lot of interest. I have a similar genuine unit which will be fully rebuilt to order and available outright so if anyone could be interested, then please PM me

Cheers Rich

on the same topic and just of interest to me, are there any 5 speed gearbox conversions out there rather than using a period overdrive gearbox, mine is non overdrive mainly due to the car being an export car so would like to know what is available in the way of choices.

55 minutes ago, R.M. said:

on the same topic and just of interest to me, are there any 5 speed gearbox conversions out there rather than using a period overdrive gearbox, mine is non overdrive mainly due to the car being an export car so would like to know what is available in the way of choices.

Of course you don't have to use an original 3 synchro OD unit - later 4 synchro A and J types can be fitted for a lot less cost and hassle than a 5 speed into early cars - presumably if you are thinking of a 5 speed conversion, then you can't be that fussed about originality, so go for an uprated 4 synchro box with a J type OD - I have helped a number of members with TR2/3s with these units.

Cheers Rich

1 hour ago, R.M. said:

Most of the 5 speed conversions actually work out more expensive than fitting a correct overdrive box.

Stuart.

well it was the amount of O/D problems i keep reading about that puts me off the idea of using one, it seems far more problem free just upgrading to the use of an ordinary  modern 5 speed gearbox rather than all the O/D tinkering and fettling that i have read about on the forum, i think i would rather not have O/D on any gearbox but would like the modern useableness that a five speed has, if you see what i am on about

4 minutes ago, R.M. said:

well it was the amount of O/D problems i keep reading about that puts me off the idea of using one, it seems far more problem free just upgrading to the use of an ordinary  modern 5 speed gearbox rather than all the O/D tinkering and fettling that i have read about on the forum, i think i would rather not have O/D on any gearbox but would like the modern useableness that a five speed has, if you see what i am on about

Its only the few on here you read about, there are thousands out there running trouble free for many years, why have 5 when you can have 7. Plus a 5 speed box does devalue a car.

Stuart.

Absolutely plus one, I'm with Stuart on this, plus driving a TR with overdrive is a massivly more enjoyable experience.

Third to O/D Third around the Lakes for example is just so much fun.

I've had my TR, nigh on thirty years, and never touched the O/D internals, even when I had the G/B Rebuilt, replaced some electrics, and thats it.

John.

I would agree with Stuart.  In some 27 years, I have replaced the solenoid just once, but the relay a number of times - comparatively easy, as my overdrive relay is on top of the bulkhead, not beneath.  The overdrive itself has been trouble-free and, with an uprated engine, it has to work quite hard on full-power changes!

A seven-speed gearbox, with near instantaneous changes up and down, is hard to beat.  Combined with a Logic control unit, it is a delight - no need to remove one's hand from the steering wheel,

Ian Cornish

15 hours ago, R.M. said:

little things like a cruse control are a delight.

Agreed but it took me ages to find the right weight of  brick to keep the throttle pedal at 70mph. Modern bricks must be lighter. 
:ph34r:

In the 1980's I purchased a Sears  cruise control kit while in the states. I have fitted it to my Scimitar, then my 1st Stag, then the Scimitar again, then a 2.5 P.I. & finally to my Rover SD1 .  It worked well on all of them. It picked up speed from a magnet glued to the prop shaft, Had a control stalk which you mounted near the steering wheel. The throttle was opened by a vacuum operated servo, & there were cut out switches mounted on clutch & brake pedals. it worked in the same way as modern version, with on/off, set, cancel, resume, & coast switch positions.

I still have the complete kit & am open to offers for it as I don't see me fitting it to anything else now. (-ve earth only I think)

Bob.

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

Agreed but it took me ages to find the right weight of  brick to keep the throttle pedal at 70mph. Modern bricks must be lighter. 

You may laugh but back in the late seventies early eighties a concrete block was the cruise control on 3tonners on tour with various bands :ph34r:

Stuart.

8 hours ago, Hamish said:

and i am sure you can also use the breezeblock cruse control on a rope as a most excellent parking brake once chucked overboard. you wag.