my new gearbox? (Mazda MX-5 to TR)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ups, the adaptors are already delivered, I'm really surprised about the laser cut surface! Tomorrow will be first fit, please keep fingers crossed for me.  

Thanks Russell and Andi, thank you very much, all worked well, fit was 100% on first attempt, the 8 mm drills are exaxtly to the point they have to be for the 5/16" bolts! Btw, the bar is on

Talking of gearbox changes, back in the 8o`s when I was involved with Jaguar racing we converted a V12 XJS from a GM 400 auto box to a Cosworth T6 manual 5 speed by a cut and shut of the two bell hous

Posted Images

Hi there,

the weather is getting worse now in October and I do not expect to drive much more this year.

After all it was about 4,000 km with the MX-5 gearbox. Time for an accessment: I'm pleased!

The 5 gear gearbox does what it has to do, the hapitc of shifting the gears is positiv, it works smooth and easy, even reverse!

Driving with 3,000 - 3,500 revs on 5th gear feels better and the engine sound quiter than the same revs (and slower) with the Triumph gearbox.

The sound is more modern in 1st - 3rd gear, not in 4th and 5th, I guess this will change when I close the holes in the gearbox.

Today I checked again how much engine and gearbox are moving to each other (how much the lip seal pushes the o-ring back).

That's about only 2 mm, it is less than I expected, my worry was needless.

Nh6jmU0X_ksoNO0egHObI1Yn__U1ZSxI8PtECeCN

I'm totally surpriced about my DIY speedo drive - it still works without any problem and the speed / distance is indicated correctly.

What I'm not pleased about is

the hot air coming out from the cut out of the gearbox tunnel, the noices when the clutch engages (nobody but me and my wife hears them),

also not about the position of the shifter housing, it has to move more foreward. So I guess I take the gearbox out sooner or later for some modifications.

My cost have been about 1,500 Euro, this can be dropped when you already own a Wosp starter (272 Euro),

buy the gearbox and propshaft for less (299 Euro), modify the propshaft youself (260 Euro)

and don't pay tax because the UK wants to go their own way (103 Euro).

Would I do that again? Yes. Did I have fun? Yes.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
  • 5 weeks later...

Good to know you are (mostly) happy with your conversion Marco.  Sems like most of the problems are related to the tunnel cover an it's fit.  How are you with fiberglass?  Or maybe you can even make one from steel?

As for the shift position..... you already know my views on that!

Some feed back from my MX5 gearbox into GT6.  Not driven so far as you - maybe 1000 miles (I have also to keep my Vitesse exercised!) and in general I'm pretty happy.

There are some niggles, off course.

The main one is that the gearbox I used is not in the greatest condition (£30 from ebay!).  It's noisy in all gears but 4th.  This doesn't bother me too much in 1st to 3rd (sounds like an authentic Triumph gearbox) but does get irritating in 5th.  Also the synchromesh on 2nd gear is a bit slow.  I do have another gearbox and the modified parts are easy to swap over, but so far I'm not motivated to do it as it drives ok, and if the gearbox was completely quiet it would then be clear the the diff is not!!

Clutch biting point is a bit high.  This is entirely my fault - I just need to put the 5/8" M/C back in and it will be fixed.

Self-centering action on the gear shift is a bit too strong - also my fault, but fairly easy to change - except I have to take the tunnel cover off to do it.  It doesn't really affect gears 1 - 4 but 5th is quite hard to select - not helped by the gaiter being over-compressed in this position.

Selection gate a little bit wide - a feature of my homemade selector mechanism.  A very minor problem really, which could be fixed with a quick-shift kit.

Speedo calibration completely wrong - I need to send it away for recalibration and I will do this now winter is here.

In general the car drives really nicely and it's character is not changed except for having one more gear - I'm pleased with it.

Cheers

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

great to hear from you, perhaps you should use another MX-5 gearbox?

BTW "Darren" is the new owner of my second gearbox adapter, he followed your and my thread and fits a MX-5 box on a Vitesse.

He convinced me to have the tools (lathe and others) and skills (EFI and others) to solve all challenges. Th 3rd one I keep for my own.

The Vitesse is a lovely car, I like this model and it is very rare here at Germany.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
  • 10 months later...

Hi there,

the gearbox is now in my TR 4A for about 16 months / 4,800 miles,

I'm well pleased but I want to do some modifications on it for the 2023 season.

"Sadly" I have this 2nd MX5 NA gearbox in my workshop, it was the photo model to compare before and after.

p8CFIMAIueL9aoNROMkEo2KkH0UDdtCKtGmya7eJ

JVI6LVm5EQ4qDA2CPtck20W1V_uVAKMf383zJAMF

For a quick swap at (about) April 2023 I started to modify this second one.

One challenge was to move the shifter housing as much forward as possible, the next photo shows the original position.

NIqjv1sp9gUFiITtZ7Bcvh83n1XIwJ6JNYOK7eXA

This is where I ended on the 1st gerabox....

qtX24dmzxKw2XocpmHznYB8M3qiVbiFA7ZyzUVhT

And this is where it will be on the 2nd...

t1TV844yvD_ObIC7cJngEG4gIuGDtY8W1_GHgv9G

As suggested earlier this post I added a second (rear) bearing for the selector shaft...

EMtGGA0E4nyWxftR3aAkP29Gx9xLhJXQxCCibo-j

Another issue was to close  the holes which I had to cut in the gearbox bell to hear no noises from the clutch while getting engaged.

Whereupon - nobody else but me ever noticed them.

sw9oenQLoZov4FX0rcxClFEQUHBfWqbliBr2pwOz

8ZPkK2pFSCwrEdEL8juJLOjCODbnL9_a7Zqs7Wq2

What I still had in stock was a used but good MX5 probshaft and an old TR probshaft.

My friend Jochem offered me to ask his probshaft builter "Welte" to make a suitable custom on, that's interessant because of

the customs and decalaration fees since England voted not to stay further at the European Union.

z5ANspF7uEJanM9wvlOMNThtQuafnhaKp5FS-h5U

On a first test run yesterday it worked without any issues (with the used Mazda U-joint, it is a not standard size and not offered as a spare part).

If you have to buy a used MX5 probshaft you better order a new one by Dave Mac.

A good moment to repair my speedo gearbox, it worked well but the connections to the cear and cable (both I glued) have been ripped off.

Now I soldered them (photo with housing opened).

F6P8O8xLRktM6G83_2K4XOT2QUwkGxtoqV2A5JJW

It will work well the next years but for the 2nd gearbox I will make a different construction.

u8scT2DzYjxhSeF_VvcCK17mvJVd3K1QDDr8K0z8

That's it for the moment, I hope this is enough text and not too much photos. :lol:

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
  • 2 weeks later...

A joy to watch as ever Marco! 

Wish I had your engineering ability.

Surprising how many other cars this box ends up in one shape or another.

Andy

This is the way I made it*

68X9xm2qpIB6fnuG4z5W-cy0Cu1NGZDfS_pYnGHp

*scrap, it runs to loud,

I expected that, but not so much, perhaps I did not hit the point they engage perfect.

mBf7CoyReiFBm3TLMeSG0JKtJTpv3A9bEFvW4GR1

I will do a test with POM gears next, finally I can always keep by previous belt construction, this runs very quiet and reliable.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Hi Stuart and thank you,

yes I know, you posted this just some days ago and I had a look in their webside.

Sadly I expect they ask for a reasonable price for my special need, + shipping, + customs + German VAT will push the price to +250 Euro?

But you are right, I give them a enquiry - NOW.

Ciao, Marco

If you find one that suits let me know as it maybe cheaper for me to get it here and send to you.

Stuart.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

next weekend there is the Retro Classics at Stuttgart / Germany.

As part of the TR IG Südwest club stand at the "English Corner" (hall 5) I will show 3 gearboxes.

imAxfAvNnuNQ2_uQfedZZ8tEt1FCNZdPdm5Oi2Rh

One oily MX5 NA from the car wrecker füpr 90 Euro, one swapped to fit a TR, one original TR with hydraulic concentric release bearing.

I would be pleased you visit the English Corner. I will not be there every day / time, so if you want to meet me send me a PM, please.

Ciao, Marco

(the speedo drive is a wooden dummy)

• 5 months later...

Hi,

a friend of mine sent me an email,

he bought a MX5 gearbox from Vitesse for his TR4 and had 3 „issues“.

- the gearbox bracket to the frame did not match with the exhaust

- he didn't need the „ moving back adapter“ for the H-frame on his TR4 (this is how they make it!)

- the speedometer shows wrong speed and distance now

All no problems, but perhaps interesting to know for those who consider the Vitesse set.

Ciao, Marco

• 3 months later...

Hi,

after 3 summer seasons and 7,300 miles I started to swap the gearbox this week.

This time a work again with "a bridge", this keeps the car rolling in the garage.

ADCreHdxB-eWiPoeJ2GEYr_Ek_mPr3g5V96jQBW2

Here you see the new one with the top closed to keep the noises of the engaging clutch in there.

After 7,300 miles they have been nearly gone, I guess because the clutch plate has bedded in.

ADCreHfH0puWCBUIS3lXz4ng-Eww2yDYpZp_5oJL

Here you see the shifter housing in its new position, the Z shaped extension later very likely will be a straight one.

ADCreHcEIxnpaJRsBzHESpsHu_6SJa-eXLlaOAX7

to compare: this it the situation on my first MX5 gearbox

ADCreHdolQQYmdhloZ029yjAxpz-WAud5sbB_s2o

With the gearbox out this is a good situation to check some things.

This is the Aisin clutch plate after 7,300 mile, it has still 8 mm and is to even bedded in completely on both sides.

ADCreHcEg-RxJd7wzmimZG5adGNkiQgTICzmDUlH

This is a look on the small Sachs release bearing after cleaning, the surface is OK, it spins like new

ADCreHfMjVeE2-iUjSxOvBkKNNjSyCH4yiEGw008

A club mate told me about HIS worries about the float of my crankshaft and my thrust washers

because of the constant load of the concentric clutch release mechanism (bearing always spinning).

Last time checked 8 yaers ago it was 0.17 mm, now it is 0.19 mm, "better than the factory range".

Sorry, no photo.

Next i put the flywheel off to check oil leaks, as expected only the crankshaft "seal" is leaking, but one bolt is ripped off.

ADCreHepk2lnnREw09ii9FoWPULb1D6RI002J9B_

Sadly with a close look on the flywheel I found a groove on it, which makes no sense...

ADCreHfXhgVVoYNI9s1TZFZLCJE2vyRmURCWcpY9

Reason?

On the TR clutch plate there are rivets, with a very flat hat on the flywheel side.

ADCreHcJOPwxY3592IFk8lOvV7mqlnY4fQjB3mTG

And waht I did not notice in 2020, different on the Aisin clutch plate:

on the flywheel side there are the forged ends of the rivets!

ADCreHfDccC2LOGXqgvJ76SQi8_cTAgbVv-CowXf

They grinded the groove on the flywheel and very likely they made the noise - without any other "problem"...

No problem at all, not the TR and not the Miata clutch "needs" that part of the flywheel.

I took the Aisin clutch on the late, this is it after cutting the rivets shorter and cleaning all.

ADCreHexwl9FczJ1gWYwIKYiq5zCLCvQA7Bbmxh3

Time to start making the gearbox cover new from sheet steel, an idea from Pete (thank you for that insiration).

Ciao. Marco

Edited by Z320

thanks for the update.  I think I would have turned the face of the flywheel to give rivet head clearance.  Then replacement clutches can be fitted with out any worry in the future

25 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

thanks for the update.  I think I would have turned the face of the flywheel to give rivet head clearance.  Then replacement clutches can be fitted with out any worry in the future

Also my choice, but my lathe is too small.

Nice Job Marco,
I like the wooden bar across the engine bay to hold the engine.

I assume you have accounted for future wear of the clutch plate when grinding down the rivets?

Waldi

29 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Nice Job Marco,
I like the wooden bar across the engine bay to hold the engine.

I assume you have accounted for future wear of the clutch plate when grinding down the rivets?

Waldi

Yes.

0.75 mm on the rivets are x2 = 6.5 mm on the plate

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like someone copied me :)

All OK, this is why I showed how to make it.

EDIT:

This was 2015! I copied him and did not know.

That‘s Friedich Dürrenmatt - Die Physiker!

Edited by Z320