Water Marks on hood

Got caught in a heavy downpour and my TR 3a Hood leaks, pause to allow that to settle in.  No way I hear your say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got less wet in the shower this morning!

The stitching has allowed water to stain the inside canvas of the hood which has dried leaving a tide mark. It's a white hood with beige inside so a bit unsightly.

Any tip on how to remove and clean the marks? I have a steam cleaner which may work. It isn't mildew stains as such just a darker brownish tide mark.

Also any tips to help seal stitching. I used the wax for my Barbour coat to waterproof the stitch thread. It is an original NOS one fitted about 4 years ago. Still soft and pliable.

Thanks 

Rod

I used silicone sealer on the stitching of my hood with is black plastic but you can get white sealer, the bathroom type. I sealed outside and inside. You can see it a little bit on the outside but I don't care, at least I'm dry.

Cheers.

Dave.

The dreaded tide mark!

Some years ago we when I worked in a microbiology lab we were trying to get an even coating of bacteria on stainless steel. No matter how we tried the bacteria would always dry in a ring around the water droplets. The same thing happens when you leave drops of tea from the teapot on the worktop or drops of coffee. If you look at the water droplets under a microscope you will see that the droplets dry at the edge and any suspended solids are pulled towards the edge. Hence the reason you get a darker ring around the edge of tea or coffee droplets that have dried out. In your case, as the hood dried, suspended solids in the water were pulled towards the edge of the wet area leaving a tide mark. It is all to do with how the fabric dried out. So if you try wetting the hood again you are likely to get a new tide mark somewhere else. Use a fabric cleaner on a cotton bud on the tide mark itself and try not to get it too wet. You need to in effect suck the tide marks stain out of the fabric. Use a clean cloth to dab on the mark and absorb the stain onto that. I suspect that if you use your steam cleaner it will simply result in more tide marks elsewhere. As I have said the tide mark is all to do with how the fabric dries.

As for sealing the stitching then I would like to know how to do that as well. I have a black vinyl hood and have used beeswax on the thread since that is very water repellant. Probably better though to get some tent waterproofer from a camping shop and put that on the stitching. Doesn't help as the hood is usually tight and that opens up the stitches. Alternatively wear your Barbour in the car. :)

Keith

Hi Roger,

Yep tried the Barbour jacket stuff, works initially but does not last.  Summer time it melts and a summer shower is what causes the issue. It does however keep stitching flexible and protected.

May try clear silicon sealer a thin bead applied may be enough. 

Lets face it there ain't no such thing as a dry Sidescreen car. The roll at the front of the hood certainly helps but it comes in at the screen edge and roof stitches.

I'm thinking of buying a new hood for the 3A.....the one i bought in 1986, looks great but has no front "roll" and consequently is pretty hopeless.....it got used just once on our honeymoon and we may as well not have bothered :lol:

Any feedback on suppliers and quality would be great.

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for Renovo, also there are some very very good hydrophobic water sprays available from the car detailing world, Gtechniq or Gyeon do some great stuff

https://gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/i1-smart-fabric

http://gyeonquartz.com/product/fabriccoat/

I have used the Gtechniq on the hood on the 6 it beads like its been polished.

No connection to either, Happy customer