Shrinking Discs

Ok next question anybody used one and are they any good? Seen a few videos on YouTube and they seem quite a good piece of kit

I've got a set of the discs and used the large one on a bonnet earlier this year, there was a raised section over lying the reinforcement frame, took about half an hour of steady work just heating and quenching and the metal shrank back beautifully to where it should be....

post-8404-0-69129000-1536476389_thumb.jpg

How much metal does it remove

None, it heats the panel by friction and then when you dose with water in causes it to gradually contract, I've never produced sparks with these discs

I have the large and the small ones and sometimes it works well others not so, technique takes a bit of getting used to.

Stuart.

Interesting technique, thanks for sharing.

I had a body craftsman remove bulges in an aluminium boot lid (non-TR), he used a TIG torch, without weldfiller, to give local heating followed by cooling with a wet sponge, he was a real craftman.

This technique seems less risky and cheaper.

Waldi

Edited by Waldi

I did some shrinking on a front wing, using a carbon arc torch. Technique was to heat a small area red hot, which makes it expand and bulge out. Flatten the bulge with a hammer and dolly. Quench with a wet rag. Repeat as necessary.

Biggest problem was that the carbon arc torch is a bit too fierce.

Pete