Surrey frame colour

There doesnt really seem to be a code for it, I researched this many years ago when I first had my 4a and it was something like the colour the army use for desert camouflage! Have a look here https://www.ralcolorchart.com/

Something like RAL1017

Stuart.

Original colour in my experience - beige.

But - that is to match the beige interior colour of the soft

surrey top.

Did the factory ever make tops with black internal finish?

That could explain the frame being painted black (though

not necessarily original) and would look better.

AlanR

Original colour in my experience - beige.

But - that is to match the beige interior colour of the soft

surrey top.

Did the factory ever make tops with black internal finish?

That could explain the frame being painted black (though

not necessarily original) and would look better.

AlanR

Im not 100% sure but I think late TR5`s with a Surrey may have had black frames and insides to the soft section.

Stuart.

Thanks for all your help. I went to a paint suppliers today and we went through several colour swatches for car paints of the 1960's. A few possible close matches but nothing quite exact to the pink tinged beige. However settled on RAL 1015 which is slightly more cream than beige as a fairly close match. The frame now looks really good and the colour is "period" enough and a close enough match in my opinion to the original. Certainly better than the chipped and slightly rusty in parts frame it was before. I removed the riveted on fasteners before spraying and tightened the rivets holding the frame together using a vice and a washer over the smaller end of the rivet. Seemed to do the trick. I put a little vaseline on the rivet heads so I can remove the spray paint off these later.

Keith

Why not the same colour as the rest of the car?

Looks good on the Works' Rally TR4s, which are Powder Blue.

Ian Cornish

Ian,

I thought all the works cars used a hard top rather than a surrey top. Or did they have both?

Perhaps you are thinking of the backlight in body colour?

Cgeers

Graeme

I misunderstood - the reference is to the soft part.

Yes, the Works' cars ran with a fixed (alloy) lid, painted Powder Blue like the backlight frame. As it happens, when I bought 4VC in 1969, it came with a black soft cover and frame as well. These I used through the summer period in the early 1970s. As we are moving house, almost everything is in store (and will be there for quite a while), and I cannot remember the colour of the paint on the frame.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc

Hello Ian

My hard top is the same colour as the car but the surrey frame was always "beige". I did think of spraying it the car colour but since the engine bay, boot and interior are various faded shades of conifer green, the outside was sprayed Vauxhall jade green by a previous owner. Quite a nice colour (I have seen other TR's in a similar colour) but one I intend to change.

Keith