cleaning/polishing cloth

What is cloth recommended for drying and polishing after washing?

My car is painted in royal blue celly and it leaves streaks after washing and scratches so easily.

I've tried soft towelling polishing cloths without success.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Regards ken

Listen to ex Firemen, Tom will have done a LOT of polishing.

Mick Richards

Hi Ken ~

I use microfibre drying cloth to good effect.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, I searched that on Ebay and they look similar to the ones I borrowed from my son. He said "don't rub too hard," I didn't but still ended up with more scratches. Do you have a particular brand?

Are these what the concours entrants use?

ken

Hi Ken ~

I use Spautopia microfibre drying cloth. I don't polish our Fiesta and my TR is off the run so I can't comment on polishing cloths.

Spautopia also do a fabulous tyre dressing called 'Rub-a-Dub'. It leaves the tyres with a natural look.

Tom.

I went to the TR Meguiar's detailing workshop and they use / recommend microfibre cloths, but they have lots and keep getting a fresh one. They also had a washing machine in their kitchen and launder them.

Alan

You cant have too many microfibre cloths ( try polishing a yacht!!)

I get mine from paragonmicrofibre.co.uk, either direct or on ebay, good quality and value and uk made :-)

Steve

Hi Ken ~

Here's a photo. of my microfiber drying cloth.

Many years ago an old Chauffeur told me to lay the drying cloth flat on the bodywork and draw it slowly away.

This is what I do now and it removes the water very efficiently.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

If you wash them dont use fabric softener.

It reduces the absorbency.

Do people not use a leather anymore.

• 5 months later...
On 6/3/2018 at 10:49 AM, Fireman049 said:

Hi Ken ~

Here's a photo. of my microfiber drying cloth.

Many years ago an old Chauffeur told me to lay the drying cloth flat on the bodywork and draw it slowly away.

This is what I do now and it removes the water very efficiently.

Tom.

Hi Ken,

I also use very fluffy micro cloths, and to buckets with a grit filter, from Ultimate Finish. I spent silly money, with UF getting the polishing circles out after which they applied a protective coat. The London water is very hard so I use a water softening cylinder, also from UF, for the final rinse. Result: No water spot staining or streaking.  All this and only for my everyday  X3.  What am I like - No! Don't answer. 

So, I am well practiced for when my next TR arrives.

Brendan

Ken, have a look at the products from Bilt Hamber, there microfibre cloths are excellent, something about the stitching being soft so not scratching the paintwork, also grit thing for the bottom of the bucket from meguirs, and finally I still use a leather, nothing to beat it!!  Happy polishing, Andrew

• 5 years later...