Rain curtains

I am sorting out my door glass on my 6 now...What's the general consensus on duplicating the original rain curtains. ..or is it acceptable to just apply a polythene membrane behind the door card...pretty much like my Stags have ?

Cheers

Len

Edited by len1

I replicated the original curtains with damp proof course polythene then made door card protectors from the same material.

Edited by peejay4A

Hi

I started this and gave up :-)

I painted the door card with a tough varnish and took the decision to put my efforts on a good anti rust all inside the door, and on the winder mechanisms and follow up with a sound proof mat. Also new rubber sills at top with new inner sills too. I just found the whole process just too messy and I don't plan much rain driving anyway.

Rich

Edited by AarhusTr6

Hi

I started this and gave up :-)

I limited the door card with a tough varnish and took the decision to put my efforts on a good anti rust all inside the door, and on the winder mechanisms and follow up with a sound proof mat. Also new rubber sills at top with new inner sills too. I just found the whole process just too messy and I don't plan much rain driving anyway.

Rich

I've painted the door cards of cars in the past with a waterproof paint system, generally finish colour to match the lining.

Keeps water out of the card material much more reliably than the plastic sheeting and it's easier to assemble/disassemble.

The rain curtain not only protects the door card, it also prevents rain water entering the car by defecting the water down to the door drain holes. Any water coming in contact with the door card can drip from the bottom edge of the card or it's fixing holes into the car.

If you can't remove the glass to fit a curtain then it can be attached to base of the glass with a strong double sided tape. e. g. Yellow Gripperrrods.

I guess it come down to how often do you use your car in the rain.

Dave

Edited by DaveR

The rain curtains are a pain to fit but if you do it in the right order then its relatively easy to assemble. Use a commercial damp proof course material, B & Q do a reasonable opaque one which is perfect.The worth of them was well illustrated last year when I had to repair the side of my 4a after a major side swipe damaged the whole side and when I stripped the door the door cards and all internals were still in perfect condition after 25 yrs use in all weathers.

Stuart.

How does water get in if the rubber seals are working? The only problem I have found that is if the door cards are not protected they warp. So plastic sheet with windscreen non setting sealer works really well behind the door card on the inside of the door.

How does water get in if the rubber seals are working? The only problem I have found that is if the door cards are not protected they warp. So plastic sheet with windscreen non setting sealer works really well behind the door card on the inside of the door.

The outer seal on the door shell against the window isnt a particularly good one no matter how well it fits, also lots of people dont fit sealant round the hinges and the mounting bolts for the window slides plus the door catch isnt well sealed at all.

Stuart.

thanks all for replies.

I am going to reinstall with new copies ,,,how difficult can it be ! :o

Cheers

Len

Just spend some time thinking how they go together. ^_^

Stuart.