I am looking to buy about 5 litres of Signal Red (code 32) cellulose paint.

I can buy it from the TSSC club shop for £32 per litre. I can also buy it on line (British Standard and RAL spec.) at £82.50 for 5 litres.

This is a big difference.

I want the best quality paint but not to pay over the odds without good reason.

Can anyone please advise.

Regards, Colin

Why, when more modern 2 pack paints are less prone to fade, more durable and not affected by watermarking. 5 years down the line when a wing or bonnet requires a respray for whatever reason it will never look the same as the rest of the car.

Chris

Hello Chris,

You said:

“…5 years down the line when a wing or bonnet requires a respray…”

The problem is, if using 2 pack at home without the proper safety gear, you may not be around in 5 years time to notice the need for a respray.

Or have I got it wrong and 2 pack is safer now?

I'm getting close to painting my car now and I'd love to know the facts.

Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

Have a look at the HSE website for using 2K paint.

The paint is less toxic these days and masks/filters are much better than ages ago.

Painting 24/7 needs quality apparatus.

Roger

Hello Chris,

You said:

“…5 years down the line when a wing or bonnet requires a respray…”

The problem is, if using 2 pack at home without the proper safety gear, you may not be around in 5 years time to notice the need for a respray.

Or have I got it wrong and 2 pack is safer now?

I'm getting close to painting my car now and I'd love to know the facts.

Charlie.

Hi Charlie

If your budget can stretch to it, get a professional bodyshop to spray it. It will have to be blocked and stoppered and primed and flatted properly beforehand, and there is as much skill and experience involved in preparation as there is a top coat. My TR4a was finished in cellulose some years ago. I thought it wasn't bad but when the bodyshop repaired a door for me they laughed at the dips and bumps in the panels. They will also flat it with a circular polisher to take out any orange peel, and it will actually look like cellulose in the end, but which was probably not the original paint anyway- more likely an acrylic.

Kevin

Up to you using 2K but FWIW unless you use proper PPE then you run serious health risks and an ordinary mask is not sufficient as you can ingest it through your skin and eyeballs.

Properly applied cellulose will last for years and can easily be repaired.My 4a was painted in t 25yrs ago and still looks good now, when it was damaged all the way down the side year before last it was easy to repaint and blow in parts that didnt need a whole panel replacement/repaint

If you want good quality paint (and colour matched if required) talk to Ken of Ken and Lyn paints 07778165966

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for that, I was hoping you might respond. I have seen Lyn Paints on line, I will give them a call.

I don't think I need to add further comments about using 2K paint other than I can see its advantages although I think cellulose can have a nicer finish.

If I was doing a complete body shell spray job again, inside and out, I would seriously consider buying the necessary equipment for 2k paint.

A few years ago you posted a detailed process for spraying body panels in cellulose and I copied it down and followed that procedure when giving the body shell of my wife's Spitfire a complete re-spray and it still looks great.

Regards, Colin

I am looking to buy about 5 litres of Signal Red (code 32) cellulose paint.

I can buy it from the TSSC club shop for £32 per litre. I can also buy it on line (British Standard and RAL spec.) at £82.50 for 5 litres.

This is a big difference.

I want the best quality paint but not to pay over the odds without good reason.

Can anyone please advise.

Regards, Colin

Colin,

I went down the same route you are proposing, for the same health related reasons. (And despite the two pack proponents telling me not to use cellulose.)

I bought mine in smaller quantities on the basis of ignorance (not really knowing how much I would ultimately need).

Despite the nice paint mans using the exact same mixing formula, I ended up with a detectable shade change at one stage, before I had finished the job.

On that basis I would go for the 5 litre batch in your situation.

However in my iggorance I only did two top coats; I think Tony Millward from WA did about 6 on his TR6.

So a shade change is not much of a hassle if you are going to put a few more coats on using the same batch of paint for the final coats.

Edited by littlejim

Up to you using 2K but FWIW unless you use proper PPE then you run serious health risks and an ordinary mask is not sufficient as you can ingest it through your skin and eyeballs.

Properly applied cellulose will last for years and can easily be repaired.My 4a was painted in t 25yrs ago and still looks good now, when it was damaged all the way down the side year before last it was easy to repaint and blow in parts that didnt need a whole panel replacement/repaint

If you want good quality paint (and colour matched if required) talk to Ken of Ken and Lyn paints 07778165966

Stuart.

+1 for Ken....not just a paint supplier but a very knowledgeable guy and gave me loads of advice on painting my car

Dont waste your time going elsware!

Thanks to Stuart for the heads up

Tony

Stuart is right.

Everything I read from people in the know says 2K is simply dangerous regardless, its just doesnt come back out of your body after, its basically epoxy glue.

Everything says use the proper gear so I dont think its safe to DIY.

A very good friend who was a body guy with a big shop who obviously had ovens and fully extracted spray booths et all died recently of a rare tumor in his nose (any doubts?), so with that bad memory in mind I dont think I will ever spray again at home.

Its up to you but how much is a car worth?

Colin, I have used two suppliers for cellulose over time. By far the best was Autopaints Brighton. When I ordered a second batch it came exactly the correct and same colour shade as earlier batch. Not so from the other supplier.

David B