Hi

Ive just fitted a narrow belt system and have now found i havnt got any timing marks

TDC not a problem but has anyone worked out where to mark the pulley for the strobe to set the ignition timing?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony ~

I did the same on my 3A. I've only got the TDC mark but when you use a tuneable strobe light then you reposition the timing mark

with the distributor to the TDC setting when you've dialled up the new timing setting.

Hope this helps ~

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

No need if you have a timing light that allows you to dial in advance. Just set your desired advanced and turn the distributor to bring the timing mark to TDC under the strobe.

I own a tuneable strobe light, but made marks on tin belt pulley anyway:

this is very usefull to see the ignition point fast running back and forth by pushing the carbs

with the strobe light on 0°

photo deleted because of limited data base at the forum

A notch is 5°, a bore is 10°

edit:

I found the original 0° bore on the Pulley NOT at 0° on my TR4A - but on 1°,

that's why the first notch for 5° seems to be a little bit to close to the original 0° bore.

Edited by Z320

Very few sidescreen TRs are still stock standard or the same; rebuilt engines with different pistons, extractors, compression changes, cylinder head upgrades, cams, carbies, electronic ignition and modern fuels all affect the optimal timing for each car. None are the same.

I set the timing at about 10 deg advance at 800rpm idle. I then advance it bit by bit on the road until it just pings under load. Back it off a degree or two at a time until it doesn't ping. I expect you will get much more power and a smoother idle.

Seems a bit far advanced. Iirc the books says 4 degrees BTDC for a 4 cylinder engine but I guess if it will take more advance without pinking then fine, as long as maximum advance doesn’t go too high.

Its a 2.2 with hs6 carbs and a tubular manifold

Standard head and cam at the moment

The rest is tr3a

So will that be different?

Hi Tony

My 3a has HS6 carbs with SM needles, mildly reworked head, 4a inlet, std cam and tubular exhaust so is very similar to yours.

You will need a 10 degree cam in the distributor with final advance set to 32 degrees giving 12 degrees at idle.

Blanking the vacuum advance may give slightly better response at the expense of a couple of mpg on long runs.

You shouldn't experience any pinking with premium price point fuels.

You can ignore the manual as those settings were for old school fuel in a standard engine.

Andrew

Andrew

I dont suppose i could ask you to measure the length of your SM needles?

Just the length protruding out of the bottom of the piston

Thanks

Tony

Many thanks Andrew...really appreciate you taking the time to do this for me

I now know I've got the correct set up

Tony