FAHER Antifriction ~Treatment

Sounds like SLICK-50, which twenty years or so ago here in the US was all the rage. I had colleagues susceptible to that kind of messaging who swore by the stuff. What ever happened to it? Seems its over-the-top claims were rejected by our advertising standards agency. http://skepdic.com/slick50.html

I'd expect the same from this stuff, Terry.

Probably all contian PTFE ( teflon)-seen on one label. I use a teflon dry lubricant spray....on the tractor linkage.

Would not put teflon anywhere near an engine- have vague recollection of reports of it gumming up rings.As for burning it ( the fuel additive) I dont fancy fluorine in the exhaust.

Peter

Hi Folks,

not sure of it was on here or CT forum but there was a video clip of of a test where two engines where run up to temperature.

One contained normal 20/50 engine oil the other had a Slick50 type additive in it.

The engines were drain of all the oil and then allowed to run till they stopped.

The Slick 50 oiled engine got hot quite quickly and seized in 20 or so minutes.

The 20/50 oiled engine took much longer to get hot and eventually seized after a very long time one or two hours.

My numbers may be wrong but the outcome was that the additive did nothing to help the engine.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Anyone remember the Molyslip test on Tomorrow’s World?

Two identical Ford Cortinas belted round a track, one had Molyslip added each oil change since new, the other just normal 20/50. The Molyslip car just went on and on long time after the other seized!

I recall using Slick 50 additive in my Fiesta XR2 which I bought as my first new car in 1986. When sold 13 years later, and something I've regretted many times since, it still ran like new despite 173,000 miles on the clock. An exhaust valve replacement and decoke at 110,000 miles was all it had of significance. But I changed the oil more regularly than required and rarely hit 4000 rpm (couldn't do it in fifth gear) and that was probably the secret to it's long life.

Don't think I'd chance anything in my TR though.

Paul

it looked like this one in Paris blue metallic:

]4777173829_6e6505732f_b.jpg

Wow http://www.eastlancashireclassics.com/vehicle.php?id=87

Edited by PaulAnderson

Anyone remember the Molyslip test on Tomorrow’s World?

Two identical Ford Cortinas belted round a track, one had Molyslip added each oil change since new, the other just normal 20/50. The Molyslip car just went on and on long time after the other seized!

I remember that test Dave and I used Mollyslip in my first car. Engine went bang on it after a couple of years of my ownership. Perhaps I wasn't putting oil in with the Mollyslip :huh:

Just after I bought the Prado, I used the Oz one called Nulon (PTFE), following their recommendations as to amounts used and when. Some of the claims were that it sticks to metal and lasts for ages.

In earlier years we'd heard about cars in the Redex trials, who used the then current oil additive of colloidal graphite, and put in a couple of hundred miles after a holed sump before seizing up.

The Prado has just had its 500,000 Km service this week and the donk# is still going strong. Of course it might have been just as good without the course of Nulon. No way of knowing is there?

But I'm glad that I used it.

The donk in the Mercedes 250 I bought while in the UK years ago was stuffed at about 300,000 Km.

# Quite possible that the metallurgy of the metal Toyota use in their engine cylinders is what gives the longevity.

That Tomorrow’s World programme had quite a few what was then innovations on show. I remember the other one with that anti corrosion and insulator IIRC it was LPS3. Again using a Cortina they sprayed up the electrics, popped on a snorkel and drove it under the River Thames. The ‘inventor’ then sprayed up a 240v electric drill, switched it on, picked it up.....no gloves on and held it in a tank of water.

I may try that myself......

Next the indestructible compact disc...... yeah right!!