Time for Tires - but what kind?

It's been a few years since I waded into this topic and eventually bought a set of Michelin XZX (165R15), which I have been very happy with. Years ago I had the XAS Michelin's - loved those - but now people are telling me to look at Block, and the other one (begins with a V - horrible memory:)

Anyway, I do a fair bit of driving on the motorway when I take the car out. But I don't do over 3k a year. Car is garaged most of the time.

So suggestions welcome, please. I've got to install on/near London and have been quoted around £950 for five XZX, tubes, mounting etc.

If I do buy Michelin again - what are the arguments for XAS (nearly twice the price) vs XZX?

Also, as I need tubes, I've heard you can get fancy with those? (stronger, thicker etc....)

Many thanks!

Hi Ron,

there are some fancy expensive tyres out there. Some better than others.

There are also some good cheaper tyres

Vredstein do two nice tyres. The classic sprint, apprx £90 and the T-Track at about £50.

I have tried both and think the classic is slightly better but the T-track works well.

I do plenty of motorway miles at the limit.

Camskill do good offers. They do tubes and delivery (apprx £3/tyre)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s408p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_15_inch_R15_inch_-_165_80_15_165_80R15_R15_inch_-_165_15_165R15

Roger

XAS everyday over the week against a 'modern' tyre!!

Talk to Dougal at http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/

He is THE man to talk to

Tom

Edited by Tom Boyd

Other than the classic looks of the xas why would you wish to use a tread pattern that is over 40 years old? I cannot think of any current tyre which has the same pattern as the xas. I have had several interesting 'moments' in classic cars with tyres over 8 yes old and now change to modern tyres asap.....they are your only point of contact with the road after all.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has tested xas and veredestiens back to back on a track?

I have nothing against Michelin's and in the 70s they were my choice on minis mainly due to grip in the wet.

John S

PS Veredephilistines for me!

I have Vredestein Classic Sprint on the TR3 and T-Trac 2 on the TR4.

The only discernible difference is that the patterned sidewalls on the T-Trac 2 look horrible especially when polished ( I won't do that again????) and my wallet was lighter after buying the Classics.

Performance seems identical.

Michelin tubes every time.

Hi Ron88

For what it's worth this is what I have.

Last classic (Daimler sp250) 165 vredestiens sprint classic.

Current - TR3a used on the road and in the Revington TR TR Register sprint and hill climb challenge. (Vredestiens sprint classic 185s)

I like the combination of the classic look and good modern compounds. They are a mid range price.

As a matter of interest the vredestiens I bought this spring had a manufacturing date within a month so brand new - no long shelf storage.

But at the end of the day you pays your money etc.

Any new tyre has to be better than old hardening rubber.

H

Edited by Hamish

I have no opinion on tubes I bought eBay ones for the daimler that grass track racers used.

But I did fit tube valve protectors like these ferrules

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112448772449

I don't have tubes in my 3a steel wheels

I have XZX on my TR3. Very pleased with them - loads of grip, even in the wet and no tyre squeal day to day.

I've done about 4000 miles on them since I bought them 3 years ago (car was off the road for about 15 months though) and they are wearing very well.

I bought them in a deal from Dougal at Longstone - think it was buy four get one free.

Link here for info: http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/michelin-xzx-tyres