Hi Folks,

I have a surrey top on the 4A and use a brolly as a temporary roof.

Unlike most I prefer the smaller brolly rather than the square one.

I found the square one is too big and inserting poppers into the main body of the cloth would be upsetting.

To attach the brolly I have glued some fancy tags with popper studs. These have worked well.

The other day the brolly had a serious bout of old age and fell to pieces.

Today I bought another JD Sport special all of £3.

It took me ages getting the tags into the right place and ended up sewing then on.

The problem is to get them fairly equal - fore/aft, side/side.

When I finished I had a brain wave. The straps on rucksacks with the push together clicker would be perfect.

Sew one end onto the fabric and sew a popper onto the other end.

The two pieces are adjustable for length and can be tightened nicely.

If I can remember in three years time to do this.

Roger

For £3 I'd make holes with a soldering iron, reinforce with fabric washers and fit poppers direct. That's how I've done my cheapo Nike brolly. The TR register brolly is just too pricey for me.

Roger

I am in the process of making a surrey top for my 3A, Don and co. would call it a bikini top.

At the Swiss Classic British Car Meeting last year it rained so with the hood up but no sidescreens in, we sat in the car with the brolly out on the rain approach side to stop getting wet on that side. It caused quite a laugh and many visitors stopped to laugh and take pictures of us keeping dry, while they still got wet (serves them right). Sorry I don't have a picture of that.

Our brolly is a large one we got from Lidl and it will cover the full width of the cab, and also from the screen to the rear apron so it serves as a seat protector against the sun when we aren't in it at shows etc. The tonneau cover does that job when we aren't showing the dashboard etc. which most people want to see, but I draw the line at opening the bonnet as there are too many sticky fingers around.

Funnily enough, at last weekend's show in our local town, it was overcast so neither were needed, and today, believe it or not IT IS RAINING the first time in months.

Dave

Didn't know quite what you chaps were on about it couldn't have been an ordinary umbrella mod to a car.

But it is.

Ha ha ha love it but can't you just tie the umbrella handle to the handbrake ?

What speed is it good too ?

H

Hi Hamish,

the chap that I stole the idea from does tie his to the hand brake.

Most mornings after a night of rain will be seen to have slipped sideways and the car is drowned.

For a surrey top the poppers are a perfect attachment.

Sue has deployed it a +20mph coming off the M6 in the beginnings of a downpour. Yes, it did invert.

By the time I had it back the right way we had gathered a gallon or so of water and guess where that went.

It is a god send tho'. A few years back coming onto therM40 in West London we got caught in a massive downpour.

We couldn;t see in front so pulled to the hard shoulder. Up went the brolly.

The rain was so had it was vapourising through the very tight weave.

When the storm passed we found ourselves on the pointy bit of the chevron between the main carriage way and the on coming slip roadof the M25.

Very scary. Thankfully we lived to tell the tale.

Roger

Hi Mike,

indeed it works well at keeping the sun off the seats - to stop that hot bottom pain.

Roger

Roger

Your fault for having black upholstery!, Mine is maroon and I can´t sit on that if it has been out in the sun for say 30 minutes that´s where the tonneau comes in handy, also to protect the vinyl seats from cracking.

Dave