Modified and fabricated tools - Show & Tell

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lightweight drain plug remover which lives in the travelling tool kit. 

Well, the "special" tool, even with a torch attached, failed to locate the lamp. It was excellent at recovering various small logs, and large stones though. Luckily I had taken along a Plan B - a

Hi, this was one of the first tools I made for my TR4A about 10 years ago, very durable and still in use... Shure someone else has one like this in use and posted it already.

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Lebro said:

I presume they are to make the two parts required to fit to bonnet, not just to fit them ?

Bob

That is just the installation tool set as supplied by Dzus. Almost 2 complete sets.  They also fit the retaining washers for the other Dzus on a TR.

Oh if only I had the press tools to make the fasteners.....

19 minutes ago, Z320 said:

I bought a 3 tonnes arbor press years ago for 50 Euro from Ebay.

For small items I use my column drilling machine. Does this help you?

Thank you.   I have a no 4 fly press which will deliver upto 20 tons with a weight added.  
Press tools for the fasteners would probably need 100 tons and the metal would probably be hot swaged for first stage of forming.   Subsequent would probably be machining.   The fastener would need hardening after mfct.  Then our old friend chroming 

image.jpeg.0737e617ee2d9e14ffdac5ada736c800.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 7/26/2023 at 12:10 PM, Lebro said:

8f04aaef-78a6-48f3-9425-06a3b3599f6f.thumb.jpg.8a95b48e2fcf559e83bcdc92524c429d.jpg 2461f2d2-5f77-4548-91f4-51a05e165601.thumb.jpg.bfb59ba6d6f06f439115726e0a6ae89e.jpg 913f9f36-6370-486c-9c81-0fe26ee0696f.thumb.jpg.d4669d3f31d488ce67bde32e519bec1f.jpg  click on to enlarge

I have two of the marine portable petrol tanks shown above. the screw on cap on both of them have a rubber washer inside to seal on to the tank when screwed on.  Over time these washer deteriorate. Can you buy replacement ones  - no. I have searched, & enquired every where I can think of, but nothing is available.

You can buy the whole cap, but at not much less than £20 !  So, I decided to start making them. The tool above was turned up on my lathe, & when pressed into appropriate rubber sheet it makes two circular cuts, producing the required seal. Tests on some scrap rubber I had were good, so have now ordered a largish sheet of 3mm thick Viton which should do the trick.

Bob

Have you seen this article Bob?

Copied from Model Engineers Workshop August 2023

IMG_1824.png

IMG_1825.png

IMG_1826.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

No, but I don't have any CNC machines!

3mm viton rubber now arrived, & several seals successfully cut from it.

Bob

Edited by Lebro