Sun Visor help needed - TR5

Dear all,

I have some modern repro sun visors to fit to the TR5, as the original ones were not with the car.

They consist of two bars that you insert either end of the sun visor.

Can anyone recommend the best glue for fixing these, something that won't melt the foam inside the sun visor.

Also, any other tips are welcome from anyone who has tried to fit these.

Thanks for your help, as always, much appreciated.

Dave.

Hi Andy and Pete,

It certainly isn't an interference fit. They are as loose as a pair of old baggies.

Pete, it is the steel rod that fits into the tube inside the visor. This comes in two parts on these repro units.

There is a long steel rod that inserts from the screen fixing end and then a shorter one that inserts on the other end of the visor and clips into the little rubber holder near the mirror.

When you push these steel rods into the visor, the visor just flops about, unable to stay in the upright position.

Thanks.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

if you put a gentle bend in the rod this will help give a 'stiff' effect.

Don't overdo it.

Roger

Defo the gentle curve of the long rod

Works a treat

If you deform the tube, you can't rectify it properly and risk actual damage as the tube material is very thin.

By working on the rod, you can tweak to your hearts content

My experience of bending the rods is that it's temporary. After a while the friction points wear and it goes floppy again. Then you're into bending the rods a bit more. Squeezing the tube spreads the grip but it's risky.

Hi Dave,

if you put a gentle bend in the rod this will help give a 'stiff' effect.

Don't overdo it.

Roger

"Don't overdo it" being the main point.

These are brittle.

You'll know if you have overdone it when . .

AlanR

Thank you one and all.

Rod bending (and splining with mole grip) will be applied this afternoon and let's see what happens.

I think it is probably a poor design to have the rod in two halves as you have much less to play with regarding bending.

I shall report back later.

All the best.

Dave.

Sun visors now in position and working after a fashion.

Thank you all for your help.

I can now go boldly into the world without fear of being dazzled by any celestial orb, which is more than you can say for the latest Euro boxes with lights brighter than anything in the firmament.

All the best.

Dave.

Morning Dave, I always read your posts with positive thinking, as I can often learn something,

BUT I have never seen a Celestial Orb or recollect anything to do with the Firmament either.

Must be passing me by !!!

Have fun ,

Conrad.