TR4A Door lock broken - can it be fixed?

Well I’ve just checked on an original 4a door that I have here that’s never been stripped and is as factory built and that has a “C” clip installed there so unless they changed between 4 and 4a and as every other part is the same it obviously works Ok, rubbish picture as I can’t get the glass up due to jammed winder. The "C" clip that you have on the top of the spring leg looks like the one fitted to mine and then mine has a wire clip similar to the Bresco linked on fitted to the top where you have the "C" clip.

Stuart

E1B07B15-C038-4831-9C9E-C17FE80EF46B.jpeg

Edited by stuart
6 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Richard,

you are quite right.

There are two clips             604156    upper clip  available

608703  lower clip not available  

It can still be easily made though with some 18 or 20 SWG locking wire  or even 0.8mm MIG welding wire (at a pinch).

Roger

If it needs some "spring"in it, I would suggest piano wire, very springy, but can be bent to shape without heating. Modelers use it a lot.

Available on line, or at any model shop. Many different gauges available

Bob

49 minutes ago, Lebro said:

If it needs some "spring"in it, I would suggest piano wire, very springy, but can be bent to shape without heating. Modelers use it a lot.

Available on line, or at any model shop. Many different gauges available

Bob

+1

Hi all

I'll order the 3.5mm clips from Bresco. Not convinced they will make any difference but I'll give it a go.

Yes Richard, both springs missing, I have an evaporating garage floor, something Harry Potter would be proud of. Drop anything on it, washer, nut, spring etc and it simply vanishes. Incredible really.

Ian

15 minutes ago, meesonia said:

I have an evaporating garage floor, something Harry Potter would be proud of. Drop anything on it, washer, nut, spring etc and it simply vanishes. Incredible really.

Ah, that'll be Bermuda concrete. I had one the same.

Pete

• 1 year later...
On 10/16/2021 at 10:42 PM, RAHTR4 said:

Hi Ian,

Your Link Assemble 650251 is missing its "bent wire clip".

Have a look in the Workshop Manual, not easy to make out the detail but it is shown.

It is small and an odd shaped part, similar to a hair pin, the closed end is joggled and sits into the top hole, the legs run down either side of the post and locate into the recess on the post. They then run downwards and are bent back and around the back of the "U" shape at the bottom to secure them in place.

Very fiddly to install and easy to lose, all your catch parts appear to have been re-plated so maybe they were lost during that process...?

I know I have some spare Links but not sure if any still have the wire clip - I will check tomorrow and let you know.

Regards, Richard

Item 93 - 650251 - Link Assembly.png

One of my winter jobs was to investigate why the passenger door lock wouldn't unlock; key turns ok and springs back but the door stayed locked from the outside and I could see that the plunger wasn't operating once I'd taken the door trim off to investigate. Eventually I worked out that the locking nut beneath the plunger had become slightly loose; once tightened, the locking lever rotated with the key action and the lock operated correctly. Looking at the workshop manual, it states that before replacing the external handle, you should place a piece of wire in the back of the handle to hold it in the locked position, before offering it up to the door. Why would you need to do this, I don't quite see the point

Any thoughts

Rgds David