Hi

I've just gone to see my car that is being put back together and the mechanic found a small leak on the side of the gearbox overdrive. I have been looking in the Parts catalogues and I think that it could be the lever and shaft as in #35 and #36, page 95 of RimmerBros Catalogue. Does anyone know of possible causes and best fixes?

One possibility is that it may not a problem with the shaft but rather with the hole it goes through, enlarged due to wear. Is that a known problem?

Thanks

Camilo

post-14128-0-36371100-1488389914_thumb.jpeg

Edited by qim

Hi iain

No, 67/68 is something vertical. What I saw was a lever like #36 that went into a shaft, possible #35. If it is a worn hole what can be done other than taking the overdrive/gearbox out and having the thing machined back into form?

If you are sure the oil is coming from around the operating shaft then it is most likely to be the small 'O' ring seal that sits over the shaft and inside the solenoid bracket cover. There is one on the other side as well which sits on the outside of the case behind the operating lever. I've seen these leak before but never seen wear in the casing at that point causing a leak.

The part that Iain is referring to is one of the more common leak areas around the small copper washer and still worth a check

Edit - beaten to it by the above two posts!!

Edited by Chilliman

There are a number of overdrive repair companies and similar names. The Sheffield ORS are the best are very professional.

Your best move is to send the whole gearbox/overdrive unit to them for overhaul and then you will be safe for years.My gearbox was often a problem and Roger removes his most week ends.

Do it now while the car is in parts.

Good luck

Richard & H.

Hi all

many thanks

If you are sure the oil is coming from around the operating shaft then it is most likely to be the small 'O' ring seal that sits over the shaft and inside the solenoid bracket cover. There is one on the other side as well which sits on the outside of the case behind the operating lever. I've seen these leak before but never seen wear in the casing at that point causing a leak.

I had a telephone chat with the mechanic and he says that there is only one o-ring on one side, not on the other... I'm going there this afternoon to take a picture, in case we are talking about different things.

This o-ring that sits inside the solenoid bracket cover, I take it that it is not visible from the outside and that the top of the overdrive casinbg has to come off. Yes/No?

Camilo

Edited by qim

. Roger removes his most week ends.

Good luck

Richard & H.

Hi Richard,

it certainly feels like it sometimes.

My OD has been pretty good. Only two problems in 18 years.

The GB has had only one issue.

However the clutch after many good years had a session of issues; but I believe I found the cause last Autumn and is now sorted (perhaps I shouldn;t have said that)

Roger

Hi all

many thanks

I had a telephone chat with the mechanic and he says that there is only one o-ring on one side, not on the other... I'm going there this afternoon to take a picture, in case we are talking about different things.

This o-ring that sits inside the solenoid bracket cover, I take it that it is not visible from the outside and that the top of the overdrive casinbg has to come off. Yes/No?

Camilo

Can I respectfully suggest that you buy yourself a workshop manual, they make for great reading. You can even download them.

Stuart.

Can I respectfully suggest that you buy yourself a workshop manual, they make for great reading.

Hi Stuart

I do have a "The Complete Official Triumph TR2 & TR3 1953-1961"

However, reading a detailed thesis on a specific aspect of brain surgery leaves me without understanding a word. I have a similar problem with car mechanics.

I do apologize for using the forum in this way.

Regards

Camilo

Camilo,

You have to remove the solenoid bracket cover and you will then see the 'o' ring on the shaft. The ring sits in a recess behind the cover.

To help you understand - here is a picture of one I rebuilt last year with the cover removed. You can see the 'o' ring still on the shaft:

PC200017_zps2lhhjiss.jpg

Aah - that side! - punch out the pin holding the lever on - pull it off the shaft and replace the 'o' ring behind it......

Make sure that there is definitely meant to be an O ring. If you have an early TR2 gearbox with overdrive on top gear only. it might not have one. When filled to the correct oil level they just leaked until the level goes down a bit. I tried fitting an O ring and the overdrive did not drop out of gear properly and stayed engaged, even in reverse which can be fatal to the box if you don't realise. I don't think the parts manual illustrates the early box. Also sometimes early boxes have been modified. Just take care. As recommended an overdrive expert should know.

Nick

Your best answer is to send the entire gearbox and overdrive as a complete unit to Sheffield.for a full overhaul. It may be expensivce but it will avoid years of problems and greater expense in the end.

You can do it.

Your best answer is to send the entire gearbox and overdrive as a complete unit to Sheffield.for a full overhaul. It may be expensivce but it will avoid years of problems and greater expense in the end.

You can do it.

From Portugal ? !

I may have lost the plot on this one - but how did we get from a leak on the side of an overdrive unit requiring a seal at less than a quid to sending both the gearbox & overdrive for a full overhaul,

you boys sure have some money to burn :ph34r::lol:

Edited by Chilliman

You can do it.

From Portugal ? !

I've checked with Easyjet: not allowed as hand.baggage!

I've checked with Easyjet: not allowed as hand.baggage!

Lisbon to Sheffield is only 1500 miles. That would barely get me half way across the country. Combined tranny with OD weighs around 100lbs, how expensive would that be to ship ?

Stan

Our man in Portugal wants a car that works and he is not going to spend the next few years of week-ends under the car.

He needs advice from all the people who have made mistakes and learned how to find the best. My gearbox is on overhaul three now and went back in last Saturday.

Portugal to Sheffield is a long way but he needs a holiday and a visit to Moss with a long list.

Good luck Qlm

Richard & H.