replacement bumpers

Hello again,

a re-chrome of the both the front and rear bumpers here in the states runs about $1200 dollars (about 986 pounds) I see rimm bros has chromed ones in stock for 453.4 pounds for both (shipment additional) and t r shop has stainless for about 566 pounds + shipment. Can anyone attest to either of these brands as being of very good quality? are there other places I should be checking. Again, it seems more price efficient to purchase in the UK and ship back here to New York.

Just bought some tr shop stainless ones, they look fantastic but haven't fitted them yet.

Hi Cliff,

new chrome bumpers would probably be quite thin metal compared to original.

The Hamilton Stainless bumpers appear to be very good indeed.

I'm still old school and would suggest that if your bumpers are, otherwise, in good condition get them rechromed..

Roger

Try 'Group Harrington Bumpers'

They supplied my SS bumpers in 2011 and they seem to be lasting very well. The downside is that they are based in Vietnam, but seem to be very well sorted.

I think the overall cost including shipping was about £575, but things may have change due either way.

Terry

Hello again,

a re-chrome of the both the front and rear bumpers here in the states runs about $1200 dollars (about 986 pounds) I see rimm bros has chromed ones in stock for 453.4 pounds for both (shipment additional) and t r shop has stainless for about 566 pounds + shipment. Can anyone attest to either of these brands as being of very good quality? are there other places I should be checking. Again, it seems more price efficient to purchase in the UK and ship back here to New York.

Go with stainless would be my advice/

Cheers

Mike.

Mike,

Do you think the currently available chromed ones are substandard?

BTW I love the look of your car, you can tell I tried to emulate the front grill on mine to look like yours...I think I need to move the driving lights closer to the headlights. What size are your inner driving lights?

Try 'Group Harrington Bumpers'

They supplied my SS bumpers in 2011 and they seem to be lasting very well. The downside is that they are based in Vietnam, but seem to be very well sorted.

I think the overall cost including shipping was about £575, but things may have change due either way.

Terry

These are the same ones as supplied by the TR shop. very good quality

Terry - interesting that the TRshop is much less cost than Group Harrington.

They buy a lot of them hence the price.The repro chrome ones arent particularly good quality and the fit isnt great either.Im surprised the chroming where you are is so expensive as its dear enough over here but not that bad. Best go for stainless from TR Shop in that case. Do be aware the fixing bolts on them are metric though.

Stuart.

stainless look fantastic !!! however they do mark very easily , even fitting them with dirty hands shows , and after 12months you would probably have to take them off and have them polished on a wheel to get them back up to standard.

It is the government's environmental practices that make chroming such an expensive industry ( not that it is a bad thing...I guess) cost too much to properly dispose of the waste. If I were on the west coast like California, there are shops in Mexico that do it cheaper as they do not have any regulations about dumping the waste into the rivers. As an avid keeper/breeder of Central and South American tropical fish, that sort of thing really goes against my grain!

I just got a quote from Group Harrington for $1097 American (£902) shipped.

Edited by clifish

Mike,

Do you think the currently available chromed ones are substandard?

BTW I love the look of your car, you can tell I tried to emulate the front grill on mine to look like yours...I think I need to move the driving lights closer to the headlights. What size are your inner driving lights?

Current ones are a lower grade of steel & the chrome is not of high quality.

My inner headlights are 5 3/4 inch same size as the Triumph Stag with both dip & main beam.

Cheers

Mike.

My inner headlights are 5 3/4 inch same size as the Triumph Stag with both dip & main beam

But as far as I'm aware, you're only allowed to have two dipped lights and a maximum of 6 main lights unless off roading!

Regards

Bill

The tr shop ones do come with the front buyer brackets painted Matt black though. Not sure why? Still very good value just about the same as a price of rechromed ones here in France.

My inner headlights are 5 3/4 inch same size as the Triumph Stag with both dip & main beam

But as far as I'm aware, you're only allowed to have two dipped lights and a maximum of 6 main lights unless off roading!

Regards

Bill

Never had an MOT fail with them, generally only use around very quiet lanes.

Cheers

Mike.

Mike

Never had an MOT fail with them

Probably because it isn't part of the MOT procedure :lol:

However

Schedule 4 Part II para 1 (d) in this, if still current (pun intended) :D

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/4/made

Regards

Bill

Hi Guy's

I'll add my two peneth worth from my dim and distant memory.

Back in the day, say early to mid 80's i was driving around in old Vauhalls Viva's and me and a number of my mates fitted auxilary dring lights as the standard lights we so poor.

Namely Cibie Oscars, about 7 inches in size so fairly large with a huge light output and wired to come on with the main beam.

But thats the thing, from what i think i know you can add extra lights to your main beam but they should go out when on dipped, to meet the regulations highlighted by Bill seem to indicate.

Hope thats still right!!

Keith