Ripped-off?

Hi Menno

Following the advice on this thread, I have decided to forget about the work on the engine and leave things as they are until another day, as they can be done with the engine/gear box in the car

Don H. You're picking the wrong fight.

It is certainly not a fight, as I hoped to have shown in my last post. And I agree, you ALL have been very helpful over the last few months.

Edited by qim

Camilo

As others will confirm on here, I initially adopted the 'its an issue, therefore it must be a major issue therefore it must need a major solution' approach for some time - only to be out of pocket due to unnecessary parts purchases and for not taking a simpler approach.

A good example is the fact that before finding a small break in the wire between ignition and coil (which had been the cause of over a year of non-starting and misfiring and lead to many other distracting issues), i acquired, a new dizzy cap, 2 sets of points, 16 spark plus, new magnecor HT leads, removed and coated the fuel tank, replaced the fuel lines in the engine, had an alternator fitted, removed and refurbished the carbs (worth every penny BTW) and whilst at it changed the extractor and whole exhaust system, only to find that the misfire/non-fire was a break in a wire that took less than 5 mins and €0.00 to fix.

I suggest that unless you are building to concours or are building a beast 'all in one go', fix what needs fixing now to make the car safe and sound, then move on to reliability and then on to 'desirability'. The latter isn't necessary to enjoy a TR.

As other have said, reduce the amount of natural leakage / rust proofing by fitting this seal when the while engine comes apart and the net cost is negligible.

Hi rhino

I agree, if I had thought my title would create so much stir.

Out of curiosity, I looked at titles from another member.

I couldn't resist...

You have to much time on your hands,my point was the topic title, there have been many before and the club has to be careful.

You can find some contemporary recommended times here

http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/trvanishingpoint/library/ICME%20TR%20Times

Cheers

Alec

Hi Qim,

Remember times quoted here on the listing Alecs found for you are as Alec says "contemporary" ie these are the manufacturer and retail garage times used for estimating when these cars were new.

Often the time taken to remove equipment or strip engines that have been in use or stood for some years can exceed these times by maybe 100% ! bear it in mind.

Mick Richards

The Christian Marx type seal arrangement puts (hopefully) leak free operation into engines with the non scroll TR2 crank - The reason I bought one recently.

Peter W

Hi Stan,

sorry about that. This thread is getting confusing and I'm not helping.

You do need the crank out of the engine to get the seal in place.

It takes about two hours or so to fit the seal in place AND then you have to rebuild the engine.

What I was trying (and failed) to say in the quote was the Christian Marx seal is quicker in that it doesn't need the crank machining.

Roger

Hi Stan,

sorry about that. This thread is getting confusing and I'm not helping.

You do need the crank out of the engine to get the seal in place.

It takes about two hours or so to fit the seal in place AND then you have to rebuild the engine.

What I was trying (and failed) to say in the quote was the Christian Marx seal is quicker in that it doesn't need the crank machining.

Roger

Understood Roger. I think we have flogged this one to death and Camilo is back on the right track as far as this rear seal is concerned.

Stan

Understood Roger. I think we have flogged this one to death and Camilo is back on the right track as far as this rear seal is concerned.

Stan

Fair chance he's keeping a low profile for a while until the dust settles. Apart from that, I don't think that there are a lot of TRs (left) in Portugal, so he will need some guidance from us. I think that the mechanic was thinking along the line of: "Classic car => expensive car => wealthy customer => difficult job => asking tons of money!" That's when we stepped in!

Menno

Fair chance he's keeping a low profile for a while until the dust settles. Apart from that, I don't think that there are a lot of TRs (left) in Portugal, so he will need some guidance from us. I think that the mechanic was thinking along the line of: "Classic car => expensive car => wealthy customer => difficult job => asking tons of money!" That's when we stepped in!

Menno

Menno, I think the mechanic was pretty much on track with the 10 to 15 hour estimate. I think it was Camilo underestimating the amount of work required to perform what sounds like a simple task that brought him here and he is now informed.

Stan