Thanks Richard, good of you to take the time to report your findings. You've had a busy few days!

Good luck with the rebuild.

All the best.

Richard (Columbo) well done!!

Register Commitee

Continuing the philosophy of the TR Gold approved/endorsed parts, could we have something implemented where this type of situation is logged/posted as an 'Important notice, Read this' type post??

There are probably any number of these 'wrong' dampers (and other parts that are 'equivilent'!!) unwittingly fitted to member's cars, who did not have the good fortune Richard did, in discovering his issue.

Could we perhaps have an active 'Known Issues' listing somewhere??

Unless people take the time to do major detective work before purchasing parts, it seems we have all to 'buy and regret' on many items!!

While we may not all be able to actively (and perhaps accurately) endorse the good/better/best levels, we can all understand and know what we DO NOT want to buy......

Just a thought!

Good work Richard. All too often problems are posted and elicit a few replies but once the problem is resolved no conclusion is posted.

Your comments on the articulation limits of top ball joints are interesting as some ball joints offer limited travel which can cause a problem when using adjustable top fulcrums.

Revington offers top ball joints with greater articulation than most modern replacements (at a premium price point) but I don't know how these compare with the OE parts.

Update:

My supplier of the too long shocks will refund so I shipped them back.

As a replacement I have ordered Koni Red Classics (80-1784) which arrived this afternoon. They measured about 304 mm (some 25 mm shorter) in extended position. I have installed them and now my trunnions are just clear, with both wheels in the air.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

Good work!.....as I commented on my update post,my new Gaz were 25mm shorter than the Rimmers standard shocks but still not as short as the originals but they do the job and the trunnion is not having to bear the pressure by acting as a stop on full extension.I also had the bigger problem of top ball joint being so far over that it seized lateral lock to lock travel of the stub axle and this has been cured and moves freely.

Another point worth a mention is that I guess also that the shimming of the bottom wishbone arms have a bearing on the geometry.I have 4 x 4 on one side and 3 x 3 on tuther.This would have an influence on the top ball joint travel limit.Would be interesting to know how many shims you have and following the theory through,if you have less then perhaps thats why you didnt have the stub axle jamming because the angle would be less causing less side travel of the ball joint...Anyway let us rejoice, our little trunnions can sleep better now!

This experience has taught me that there can be quality issues in the 'new' parts market and that is not good especially when safety might be compomised.Will check everything now before I fit new stuff;Lesson learnt.

Regards

Richard.

Edited by Richard Young

Hi Richard,

quality is a big issue with some parts.

That is the reason that the PQI was started.

There was a big concern with TR6 brake master cylinders a few years ago. Something needed sorting.

There are plenty of quality dampers out there - Koni, Spax, Gaz etc but the simple standard damper has slipped through the net.

I would suggest the standard damper will fit another car but not for our cars - the part numbers need sorting.

Thanks to your posting, and for supplying a PQI form, we now have the suppliers looking at their stock.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Richard,

I have 3+0 shims on rhe LHS and 2+1 shim on the RHS, so less than you have.

I noticed the Konis have a nice soft rubber bump stop rubber inside the upper half of the shock absorbeer, this will help to reduce high impact loads on rhe chassis when the suspension is fully compressed.

The Konis are adjustable, but the friendly Koni-person I spoke recommended to leave them as they were supplied for normal road use (my racing days are long gone), in rhis case the softest setting.

This setting still felt more firm than the new standard dampers that I sent back.

Best regards and a merry Christmass to you all.

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

The Gaz ones I've installed are adjustable on the car.I will adjust the setting when the rebuild is done and on the road...That moment seems a long long way off!

Will update my rebuild blog over the holiday with some pics of the completed front suspension.

Finally to you and to all those helpful forum members that have answered my questions and helped me through issues during the last year,have a happy and peaceful Christmas.

Richard.

Edited by Richard Young