Hi Guys,

My solution to the spare tire /space problem. A get me home tire from a Chrysler K series, lots of them in scrapyards ( maybe not in the UK....), and lots of them with a brand new space saver. I got this new one for free, and mounted it to the TR rim. Size is 135/70 15".

It fits with room for spares...

Yves

post-11411-0-03910000-1476643587_thumb.jpg

post-11411-0-75467200-1476643665_thumb.jpg

Looks nice Yves but unfortunately in the UK using a wheel and tyre on an axle (includes independant front suspension) which is a different size to the wheel fitted the other side doesn't comply with UK Construction and Use regulations ie it's illegal. (it may be worthwhile checking out regulations in Canada also).

In the UK a space saver wheel and tyre can only be designated by the car manufacturer because they have the technical information to decide what is safe to use (some like Mercedes for example with different size tyres on the front and rear only supply one size of spare). They have a derogation (get out of jail card) to supply a non standard size wheel and tyre because they will pick up the responsibility in the event the mixed wheel or tyre size causes an accident. This also covers Whole Vehicle Type Approval regulations also (obviously only current existing manufacturers) where they will underwrite the warranty and any safety implications. There are some other complications also where bye the insurer of the car may be unhappy with a non manufacturer supplied wheel and tyre but we won't go into them.

Having said that I know that some owners especially those with sidescreen cars and spare wheel space problems have different spare wheels stashed there and will risk it.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

155/80 on a 4" rim is as narrow as is sensible.

Cheers

Alec

...and what I run as a spare on my car, on a refinished 48-spoke wheel. It fits in the well, but even this size is tight.

165/80/15 on my 4" steel spare. fits in no problem.

I run 165/80/15 on the other four as well, but on 4½" steel rims

1955 TR3, but rebuilt using post 60K boot floor

Bob.

145 usually implies a maximum load rating of 77 or 78, in other words 412 or 425 kgs.

That is distinctly on the low side for a TR, especially if loaded and two-up for holiday touring, compared to

155 which usually implies a maximum load rating of 81 or 82, ie 462 or 475 kgs

or 165 which usually implies a maximum load rating of 86 or 87, ie 530 or 545 kgs

Cheers

Alec

Hi Guys,

@ Tush, I Think I took it from an Intrepid, and it fits perfect.

I would not be concerned about the weight this tire can hold, if it's designed to get 2 ton of Yank tank home....then I'm sure it will get my little TR home.

I think Alec is talking about regular tires, I'm sure that this load rating is not for the get me home stuff.

Anyway, if you have a flat I would hope that you would stop at the next gas bar or shop and have it fixed asap.....so you won't use a spare for more than a couple of hundred K anyway .

@ Mick, I don't think there is a Canadian law, most of these things are regulated by the provinces or territory's. The good thing in Alberta is that there is no such thing as Vehicle inspection, so you can drive with whatever you want. Not that it matters, where we live the risk of hitting a deer or other wildlife is a lot bigger than hitting an other vehicle.

Agreed, 'get me home' spares tend to have a high load rating for their size - check the coding.

Also check the date code, the heavier weight 'get me homes' are really past their useage by 10-12 years max and require replacing.

If they delaminate the tread (the usual failure of age) they can rip your wing clean off as the tread flails round unzipping itself . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

What does it read on the sidewall of the tire, Yves? That should tell you all you need to know and more.

Here's a compact spare in a smaller size than yours, with load range 90 (600kg/tire). your 135/70-15 is probably a little higher. Inflation pressures and carcass construction are different for compact spares vs a normal tire of equivalent size.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Convenience+Spare&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=17MD5CSOLD&tab=Sizes

I think you're probably OK with respect to load-range. Those tires were formulated to spend a long time being ignored, so I'd guess they have a particularly good air-retention barrier to hold pressure and oxidation protection to prevent deterioration. But they'll still age, and one from an Intrepid is getting old now. The sidewall will have a date code for WWYY showing week and year of manufacture. Exactly how old you're willing to go, I guess is up to you... I'd be nervous at 10 years, and probably reject at 15 years. I'm sure there are those on here more conservative than I who would reject at 5-8 years old.