Hi my friends,

On the tr6 I have noticed what sounds like a noises tappet

However I can hear it in the exhaust pipe

Is it possibly it's an exhaust valve it's a stage tree head

With about 3 thousand miles on the clock

I will investigate shortly, on another job at the moment

Possible thoughts please

Thanks pink

+2 I had a Ford Orion years ago that sounded like the top end was on its way out. Very metallic tapping - sounded like the tappets had gone.

I had a tyre fitted at Kwik Fit and when the guy reversed it in to the garage he kept revving it in gear with the handbrake on to the point I was getting annoyed. He then put it up on the ramp, zipped up the exhaust manifold and cured it.

I could have kissed him!

Hi Pinky

Is it a stainless exhaust and manifold, its just they can magnify the sound of the pressure wave . Mine does ;):D

Edited by Clarkey

Hi neil put us out of our misery, what sealant possibly a thin layer of silicone

Moving on if I disconnect the webbers from the control arm, would I stand a chance of keeping them in balance

Pink

I got to the bottom of the problem today, I took The fan belt of started up the car, to see if I could, smell/see smoke coming out of the exhaust manifold, I then took the rocker cover of to inspect the tapets to my horror tappet no1 measured 62th

I re- ajusted n0 1 tapet and the car is back to normal I can only think with such a large gap the valve wasn't working properly, I hope it hasn't caused any damage

pink

hi Neil

It wasn't any different than the others, i presume your thinking camshaft

if it was it would mean the lobe would have worn a flat on it and it would run really rough (I think)

the problem has started really quickly, also the screw was very easy to turn

think I am going to buy a new rocker if you can get singles

pink

Trouble with exhaust gaskets is that they cook with the heat and the combined weight of carbs and exhausts distorts the gasket and they fail

The solution is to lap the manifolds flat and put the straight onto the head using high temp silicone.

MichaelH

Trouble with exhaust gaskets is that they cook with the heat and the combined weight of carbs and exhausts distorts the gasket and they fail

The solution is to lap the manifolds flat and put the straight onto the head using high temp silicone.

MichaelH

Hi Michael,

Can you recomend a silicone as I canot find one that will take the temperture

Cheers pink

Loctite 5920 premium copper silicone

described as high temp low strength silicone

comes in 80ml tubes I get it from local engineers supplies but available on the internet I am sure

Works on my engines without manifold gasket but I do make sure the manifold surface is flat

MichaelH