Fire damaged TR4 body

The steel won't have been damaged as such but depending on how hot the fire was it will have been annealed.

I wouldn't have thought that would matter bearing in mind the strength in a TR comes from the chassis.

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent

It does largely depend on how hot it got and if the firemen used any chemical suppressants when putting it out. Usually with fire damaged panels they go rusty very quick and even when cleaned right back and painted then it will always go rusty again.

Stuart.

The driver's side looks still to have underseal on the inner wing. The blackened engine bay might just be smoke residue. If the body was on the floor at the time of the fire it might not have got too hot - were those aerosols there at the time of the fire ?

Fireman Tom will know !

Peter

I assume the rear wings are the only two important outer panels to have been on it, so I think panel warpage would not necessarily be an issue, and no reason why it should'nt panel up nicely, especially if the bonnet/doors survived okay (doesn't say in ad). No screen pillars or steel roof to worry about either.

Based on that I'd say it was a fair purchase.

Kevin

Looking at the headlamps,exploded due to heat,the front atleast has got pretty hot!

Had a car destroyed years ago by a careless repairer.....yes he was welding and lost the car and his workshop. The car looked very similar to this.....nothing was salvageable. Personally wouldn't touch with the proverbial!

I certainly wouldnt bother, back in the Seventies I used to do a lot of damaged repairable`s and if any panel was fire damaged we would discard them as they would always come back later on with problems otherwise.

Stuart.

What would happen if you had it acid stripped?

Rgds Ian

It wouldnt help, fire damaged panels have their composition altered

Stuart.