I need to replace my worn tyres. At present I have 195x65 R 15 fitted but I am finding low speed manoeuvres every heavy. I blame the tyre size but it might just be anno domini catching up with me. I am considering something narrower e.g. 175. I would be gratef any advice advìce or suggestions based on experience.

Hi Clifftr6

I just replaced my 195s with 165 Michelin XAS and I'm very pleased with them. Not cheap, but work well and look the part. My 195 were too big in the wheel arch from my point of view.

Roger

I went the opposite way. I replaced 165 Toyos with 195 Yokohama C Drives and the steering is now lighter. Work that one out!

Edited by peejay4A

New tyres always make the steering feel lighter in my experience

My guess is that has to do with the tread depth and it being able to deform under turning

Happy for better technical explanation

Graze

I posted this before but it's not here.

Any way on my TR6 I run Continental 165 on Minilites and Vredstein Continental on steel wheels.

The car handles well,easy to steer,and I think they were the factory original sizes.

Many years ago when I was competing hill climbs in a Ginetta mod prod car running slicks, 10" rears and 8" fronts,I was regularly beaten by an identical car running 6" all round.

I think he was a better driver, but he told me I was losing a lot of time dragging all that rubber around.

165 Vredestein £50 a corner, handles corners and looks the part, well they should, its original UK size...no difference I can discern from the previous 195, or 185 except steering is lighter and less crashing about when you hit the potholes..

+2 for the 165 HR 15 XAS tyres. Just soooooo good. Well worth the extra.

Alan

Oh and I have tried my car on 195/65/15 and found them a little balloon like and heavier too.

I have run a previous TR6 on Vredestein 185 70 15s in the past replacing the 205 60 15s that were on the car when I bought it. The Vredesteins transformed the car, very supple, good ride, good road holding and very similar rolling radius to the original UK 165 (80 aspect) 15s so speedo still accurate.

Dave McD

Hello, my TR6 (I purchased car in U.S.in 1995 ) came with Kleber 185/70R15 , spare is same size of Goodyear G800 red band breed, I recently fitted 185/60R15 Maxxis and they seem very good at this stage.Michael.