Clicking noise in front wheel.

Hi, I have this weird clicking noise coming from my front right wheel area, and I cant figure out what it is.

It seems to be one click per revolution, but it's kind of hard to tell since the sound stops when the speed goes below 30km/h or so. Also when turning slightly left or right, or touching the brake pedal it also immediately goes away. But as soon as I'm rolling at a steady pace 30-70km/h it clicks like mad, and it is pretty loud. Kind of embarrassing to drive through town with this clicking going on.

I have wire wheels, so my first thought was a lose wire. So I replaced the wheel with my spare wheel but the clicking noise was still there.

Pumping up the front and spinning the wheel by hand produces no clicking.

Could it be the bearings? There isn't that much moving in the front but still something is creating this annoying sound.

Any ideas?

Leif, It might be high spot on a disc picking up the brake pad and its clicks in the retaining pins. Try a few hard brakings from, say, 50mph down to 10mph to see if the high spot - maybe a small patch of rust -can be wiped away.

You could also try re-torqeing the wheel bearing.

Peter

I had exactly this. You need a brake pad retaining kit......see eBay. The kit has a retaining Spring which holds the pad under tension and stops it from moving ......ie. the clicking.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the ideas.

I have tested with a spare wheel and the sound is still there so it's not the wheel itself.

The dust shield seems to be ok, it is firmly attached and with a relatively even gap to the disc.

I did test some hard breaking to clean up the discs but the sound remains.

Re-torquing the wheel bearings, I will definitely try that.

A brake pad retaining kit, also something to look into, probably the first thing I will try.

Thanks.

Same as Blue Cedar,sounds terrible driving through built up areas,Its the pads rattling in the caliper .The spring retainer kit is an instant cure.

Dave

Yes Dave, agree with your findings. I too had the same clicking problem and yes the pad was moving just too much in the caliper every rotation fitted pad retainer kit and away it went, wonderful!

Alan

Definitely the pads - less of a click and more of a rattle as the pads move about in the calipers - gentle braking will always stop it immediately. Although it appears to be coming from the right front, it could be coming from both sides (you just hear the side you're nearest to). It drove me mad but an easy fix....

I had a clicking sound and it was the inner wheel bearing, there is some rubbish around at the moment I replaced with Timken from Bearing King.

They don't need torquing though it's a tweek to seat and then back off to fit the split pin not very technical but quiet!

Pete

I found some springy wire and made myself a couple of retaining springs, as a temporary fix to see if the sound would disappear. And I'm just back from a 50km ride around the country side and there was no clicking. Oh the sweet sound of silence.

I can't understand though how they could make such a load clicking sound, it sounded as someone held a small screwdriver against the wheel and hit one of the spokes for every revolution.

Anyhow, thanks.

Now I just have to order some real springs.

You should have one shim plate to match up with each of the 4 disc brake pads. Right?

Also lube each of the 4 slide pins with anti-seize or brake grease, lightly. So the pads can move freely.

The shim plates will help stop vibration & squeal.

My 1972 front disc brakes have no springs.

Edited by Sapphire72

I have a -71 and the shim plates are there and the pads move freely, it all seems to be in reasonably good shape actually.

But I guess the pads could move too freely, and thus could rattle around somehow. By adding the springs they will be stopped from rattling around, or so I figure.

I too have the shim plates fitted,everything all copperslipped up and moving freely,but the only time the noise stopped was when I fitted the

spring retainers 3 years ago, no problems since.

Dave