Moss Choke Cable - knob pulls off brand new replacement

Good evening,

I have just spent a few hors this afternoon fitting a brand new replacement choke cable to my TR6 which isn't the easiest jobs. You can imagine my frustration when the knob pulled straight off in my hand when I went to use it for the first time!! I guess I should really remove the whole lot and return it to Moss but I'm concerned I will be given another one with the same problems. I believe other members may have experienced similar problems when fitting these replacement choke cables?

Mu question and request is has anyone discovered a fix for this annoying problem which in essence renders the choke and fast idle completely unusable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I resort to ripping the whole lot out and returning it to Moss.

Thanks for reading the post and taking the time to share your thoughts which as always are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards, Peter

Hi, Peter,

I too had this problem twice - in the end, I glued the knob on using a thick type of superglue, but I don't recall the make. Before doing this, I obtained an agreement from the supplier that they would still offer a replacement if this was unsuccessful. So far, it has lasted for about 6 months.

I guess this lets the supplier off the hook somewhat, but it is a pain to keep removing and refitting these cables, so a bit of pragmatism goes a long way!

If you fancy giving it a try, let me know and I'll try to find out what sort of glue I used (another TRR member let me have some).

Good luck,

John

Hi peter

If you can fix it yourself do , I had to return two in quick succession with the same fault.

When the third one broke I gave up and resorted to pliers.

I have now fixed it properly(I hope), i drilled a small hole in the stem of the knob as a breather then used an epoxy metal called J B Weld to stick the knob on to the rod.

Hope this helps

Brian

I'm intrigued, why dous the knob pull of,

Is it because the pin spring dousnt line up ?

If so, it might need material fileing of the end of the rod or the inside of the knob requires packing

Or am I missing something

Pink

Good morning,

Thanks very much for all of the replies and helpful feedback. As I thought this is a quality problem which is a shame as the rest of the product is in fact made to a high standard. I shall persevere and have a go at sticking the knob on with some JB Weld although I have no idea where to get that from? suggestions would be appreciated or I can revert to good old 'Google'.

I have previously restored (and enjoyed) an MGC Roadster. The reason for sharing this was that the dashboard controls were fixed using a grub screw which worked perfectly and made removal re-fit very straightforward. I was contemplating attempting to drill a hole in the knob and use a threaded insert with a similar grub screw arrangement. Does anyone have any idea where I could get hold of a threaded insert and grub screw? This could be another solution to provide a permanent fix for other members in the future. Just an idea.

Thanks again for your help, have a great weekend.

Best Regards, Peter

Thanks john for the info, dous the knob match the others in shap and design ?

You could youse a roll pin, that would make the knob removable

J b weld can be baught from Amozon, really good product

Pink

You can be happy!

Others noticed the whole knob pulling out of the

centre wire....

Just removed my wonderfull MOSS TR6 rocker set with bushed rockers

and a matching rocker shaft. Not cheap this simply lastet about

10K miles and now the soft rocker tips are badly worn and the not tuftrided shaft

lost more material than the broze bushing in the rockers. Will keep you informed

how the ywill react on my claim although I do nit experct anything. I shall not be

the first to claim for that scrap and not the last........

Hi, Pink,

I've just replaced the other knobs with a set from The Roadster Factory in the US and the moulded knob on the choke (from Paddocks) matches well in shape and design.

For what it's worth, the knobs from TRF were of a high quality and fitted straight out of the packet, no fiddling about which I have seen complained about from other suppliers. Even allowing for shipping from the States, still cheaper than purchasing from the usual suspects over here, so what's not to like? (No connection, btw)

John

I have had a couple of bonnet openers where the knob came apart. Moss quality! Then, they had the cheak to say you have installed it incorrectly. So went back to the dealer and in his courtyard, with him looking over my shoulder, put another one in and on the first pull the knob came off. To which the comment was oh it must be a bad batch. When I get some more you can have a free one.

Cheaky B....... I ask him does that mean I have to drive round with an open bonnet until you decide to give me a freebee? Yes, I cannot do anthing about it. Complain to Moss :wacko:

What happens if someone well meaningly shuts the bonnet? Then you have a problem.

Good evening,

I have just spent a few hors this afternoon fitting a brand new replacement choke cable to my TR6 which isn't the easiest jobs. You can imagine my frustration when the knob pulled straight off in my hand when I went to use it for the first time!! I guess I should really remove the whole lot and return it to Moss but I'm concerned I will be given another one with the same problems. I believe other members may have experienced similar problems when fitting these replacement choke cables?

Mu question and request is has anyone discovered a fix for this annoying problem which in essence renders the choke and fast idle completely unusable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I resort to ripping the whole lot out and returning it to Moss.

Thanks for reading the post and taking the time to share your thoughts which as always are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards, Peter

Hi Peter,

I put one of these chokes on my TR6 in October,last year, though not from the same supplier, as you say not exactly an easy task.

I have just got the engine running and pulled the choke out, the knob came off !. I telephoned them and they very kindly sent a replacement, to me. They did say this was a first.

Kind Regards,

Dave from sunny Spain

Hi, Pink,

I've just replaced the other knobs with a set from The Roadster Factory in the US and the moulded knob on the choke (from Paddocks) matches well in shape and design.

For what it's worth, the knobs from TRF were of a high quality and fitted straight out of the packet, no fiddling about which I have seen complained about from other suppliers. Even allowing for shipping from the States, still cheaper than purchasing from the usual suspects over here, so what's not to like? (No connection, btw)

John

Very wise john, I have baught a few parts from the roadster factory, the last being a new tunnel cover, fitted like a glove,

It makes you sick all this **** that is being sold in the uk

Baught a rear luggage rack from rimmers, suppose to be stainless, first time it rained all the welds went rusty, they took it back, and tried to charge me the postage, I went ballistic on the phone

Really dous piss you of

Pink

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and replies to my original post. I'm please dot confirm that the 'JB Weld' seems to have done the trick although I have now run into problems setting up the butterflies properly on my car!! I have just placed another post on this matter so hopefully I may yet sort this issue out as well.

Thanks again, Peter