As the pictures show, Olde Smokey has a rather large hairy chest.

I suspect it has served to absorb that hot engine heat and absorb an awful lot of oil smoke over the years.

I thought about getting a pair of dog shears and trimming it, but I suspect they would blunt in seconds, so I will cover the engine (parts) with a blanket and peel/cut away as best I can.

Inevitably there will be a hardened glue mess underneath and with my engine, a need to still manage heat.

So can anyone recommend a decent product that will manage heat but not look like a greek coal miner ?

TVM

IMG_8912_zps1ds762iq.jpg

IMG_8911_zpscbuaan3m.jpg

Edited by McMuttley

I would have thought that "rug" was keeping heat in not letting it out.

It looks more like sound deadening material which will hold heat, surely.

Also it would appear to near enough block the only bonnet vents there are. :D

Why not try without......might be a bit more noisy but that's a different problem.

Inevitably there will be a hardened glue mess underneath and with my engine, a need to still manage heat.

You need to let the heat out, not keep it in. Try WD40 or white spirit to remove the hardened glue.

Pete

Glad to see you back and posting again after you received a slightly unkind comment a while ago.

To be honest, whilst I appreciate that I can't speak for others, I for one would miss the enlightenment to be gained from some your experiences and your boundless good humour in the face of adversity.

To your question... someone may know what adhesive was used but expect it to be a type of Evostik and (following removal of the worst of it first) if you google there are solvents for it's removal but obviously you have to be aware of the risk to the paintwork and yourself - work in well ventilated space - no naked flame etc.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, be aware that there is a risk that the material which is already frayed at the edges may contain A S B E S T O S :unsure:

Well, like my own hair, the rug did not put up much of a resistance - TBH I am amazed it hadn't fallen before.

The glue is mostly rubbery, so is coming away without too much trouble, but apart from heat, it was obviously hiding a tad scruffy inner hood that a PO obviously didn't want to sort out, so I will re-cover.

I have some of this stuff left over from covering the transmission tunnel and floor to reduce the heat from the smoke stacks of Mordor exhausts.

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/heat-insulation-material-48-x-72-409-016.html

Has anyone ever used this in really hot places ?

Alternatively, woolies suggest ..

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1939-acoustic-heatshield.aspx

TVM

Edited by McMuttley

I use sound deadening material - sort of stick bitumen based stuff I think under the bonnet. It has no claims regarding heat resistance, & has been on for three years now without any sign of deterioration. So, I would not worry too much about which of your choices to go for.

Bob.