restore or part out - car was cut in half for storage

I am going to restore. I will sell off some of the extra bits, as I do not need 12 extra instruments, or a full extra set of wheels, or 6 doors. But, of course, I will cherry pick first. What I know I will not be keeping is the TR4 (modified) frame. If I can salvage the original, great, if not, I will shop around for a replacement TR3A frame. Anyone want to swap?

I live in Ottawa, and there is a very good club here - OVTC - which has very warmly welcomed me aboard.

My project for this Summer is to get a frame sorted, stripped, made solid, zincked and painted. From there I will start on chassis bits. The rest will keep in the garage. With the frame done, I will look at rear end and front end, installing wheels, and having a roller. I can then look at dropping in the engine - after confirming the condition of the rebuild, as it has sat for some time.

As a newbie, I was not so certain of what I had bought or was getting myself into - when my mother, who is 80 years old and not very interested in old cars - squealed in delight saying "this one you have to build to drive me around in Summer", I figured I might have stumbled onto something. My son, who has been disinterested in my car projects, wants to "help with this one". My spouse, who might sulk when I buy a car, has been generally agreeable about this one.

I have a small inheritance coming my way as soon as we settle an estate, so I will use that to finance the chassis restoration and a bit more, so it will be a painless start to the enterprise.

The interior, which is complete, is good enough to use, even if a bit dulled from storage. I will hang onto it. I have a brand new top, and a decent used tonneau (white), which I will re-use. I think this restoration will be a combo of restore/re-use, lending a patina'd look to a newly-sorted car. Save some money in the process. I am not interested in a trailer-queen - done that before, and even won an AACA Sr 1st, but the trophy hasn't been much more than a paperweight all these years.

I am not going to go the speed equipment route - I am an old fart who is happy sputtering down the road at a modest velocity...

Remember the Triumph you had when you were at college? Well, I went back to school at 48, and am now doing a doctoral degree, so this is actually my grad school car.... hah! I often get mistaken for a professor at my age - throw in a TR3A and I suppose they'll be completely confused.

This will be fun. I have subscribed to the TR, and look forward to new friends and adventures with like-minded sorts!

Robert (Bob) Head

Excellent idea Bob, a useable everyday car is more fun than a trailer queen any day.

Stuart.

Restore it!

This car has all boxes ticked already: very late car (one of the last), more than complete, unmolested - being cut it in half isn't a problem. In fact, I think that the previous owner knew exactly what he was doing at the time! Try to get as much documentation as possible. IIRC, there is even a book that shows the 'trick' of cutting the car in half as part of the restoration process!

And don't sell the parts when you're restoring the car. It's easier to pull parts of the shelf than to fire up the computer to go online looking for a part that you've previously sold...

Keep us posted, this is going to be a great project!

Menno

Bob

As you live in Ottawa your nearest forum member would be Don Elliott who lives in Quebec and has had his car from new and now has at least 6 figures on his odometer, and is a concours winner in Canada.

Dave

Robert, I bought a '61 TR3A on the internet, used for Sunday drives during the summer only. I paid a lot more than you did. When it arrived it was junk. It had been in an accident, frame bent, etc. etc. My dream of driving it home from the port now makes me laugh. It didn't then. The first thing I did when I finally got it to my garage was cut the body in half to make a bit of space. It took about four years but I finally got it all together and through inspection. The main problem throughout was space to work. If you have the room to work plus all of those great parts, go for it. You will never regret it. In my book, you bought a dream. Wish I lived around the corner to stop by to encourage you from time to time. And it is the most fun-to-drive car I have ever owned.

Paul

Bob

As you live in Ottawa your nearest forum member would be Don Elliott who lives in Quebec and has had his car from new and now has at least 6 figures on his odometer, and is a concours winner in Canada.

Dave

I think we have a member in Kemptville which is considerably closer and that's probably the OVTC connection. Edited by peejay4A

I have since also purchased a tr3 frame for 400 GBP - don't want the TR4 frame, and am worried about the orig frame as was cut and rusted. The replacement has been blasted and painted, and is a good place to start. Not too far away, either. I am going to budget $10-15,000 CAD this year and see where that gets me on the rebuild... should be a good start!I have joined the OVTC, as well. This will be my 'distraction' away from the books while writing my doctoral thesis....;) Funny thing, my son is actually interested in this one - no interest in my previous cars...

Tush - are those your youtube tr3 videos I have been watching?

Bob, the TR was the only one of my dad's cars I ever showed interest in. When I started work, I lived the other side of the country. When we visited, Dad and I would take the TR out for a couple of hours. Nice. So when, 5 years ago, he decided to sell, I had to buy it.

Now two of my three children keep mentioning about having it as part of their inheritance. So if I go young under suspicious circumstances.... May have to cut it in two, half each!

Enjoy the rebuild.

Martin

Bob - I am a little way away in Toronto, and only a TR4 owner ( ;) ) but if there's anything you need, or anything I can help with let me know. I would be happy to have an excuse to take the TR to Ottawa or drop in on my way to Wakefield ;-)

So, just brought the car home - lots of bits - a true barnfind basketcase!

The engines are stamped CT5912E and TS33207E. My car is commission TS81227L.

So - what do I have for engines? The CT is complete and looks to have been rebuilt. the TS engine will need to be rebuilt... But is mostly there.
The car is claimed to be a TR3B sold in 1963....which means not a lot.

Could be the original engine is long gone - I would never know....Maybe the CT engine came with the TR4 frame that was included. The TS33207 came with the 1958 parts car that came with the car years ago...

I am confused!

Anybody wish to weigh in?

Hey Stan!

Yup, maybe...so which engine should I use? Which frame? TR4 with modified TR4 or 58 TR3 with tr3 frame for a tr3a?

Is it going to ruin the car to be not exactly same year numbers? These never were numbers matching cars...

hmmmm....... thought and opinions solicited

Hey Stan!

Yup, maybe...so which engine should I use? Which frame? TR4 with modified TR4 or 58 TR3 with tr3 frame for a tr3a?

Is it going to ruin the car to be not exactly same year numbers? These never were numbers matching cars...

hmmmm....... thought and opinions solicited

Since the core of the bits that you have is a TR3A I would probably opt to build it as a TR3 on a TR3 frame. There are plenty of sidescreen cars with TR4 engines in them so you have that option after taking into account the minor differences that you can borrow from the TR3 motor. Since this project is going to take a while you could also inspect the innards of the TR3 engine and if it is viable (nothing cracked or worn beyond refurbing) sell the TR4 engine to get cash and then include a rebuild of the TR3 motor as part of the project.

You will get so sick of cutting, grinding and welding that rebuilding an engine will be a welcome distraction.

Stan

well, the TR3 engine does have its head.. the crank is out (maybe useable), and the carbs, valve cover and oil pan missing....

Given that I have the TR4 engine and a TR4 frame.....somebody will want!

The mouth I have has a TR3 bonnet badge and later lettering. The title is 60. If I swap the bonnet badge out...I have some nice TR2/TR3 lettering...

I fellow I bought from says he has seen the orig owners wedding trip pics and that this was the car...I am guessing the parts car gave up its front nose and engine, which has been lost to obscurity. When I got the orig frame home and looked at it - it is scrap. The car mus have been in sad shape when he began swapping out the bits for 58 parts car pieces.

The welding will not be done by me - I live in a townhouse development with a single garage - work requiring special tools and safety considerations will be farmed out, as will painting and blasting. I am better at project mgmt, light assembly, and sanding, paying out $$, and finish work. This will keep my insurance agent happy.

Next house is in the country with a large garage and no neighbours to worry about...

I think the goal here is functionality and good looks, not concours correct and show quality. Wrong car for that.I have a neat grill kicking around...maybe could mod to fit ;)

post-14035-0-39088700-1460430415_thumb.jpg