Hi James,

These aren't the VIN or commission no. plates. There is a number of postings on these plates. I think the EB no. is the bodymaker's number for the shell (Mulliners were the builders). The other one is Standard Triumph's. The commission no. should be on the RH bulkhead, to the side of the hydraulic fluid reservoir on RH drive models. It should show a number starting TS..... This is the number on the DVLA V5.

I don't think there are reliable records which can enable either number to be related to a specific TS commission number.

Martin

Edited by Mart O

Hi James and welcome.

The car originally had a stamped black and silver plate riveted to the upper right hand side of the firewall in the engine bay. This had the commission number stamped on it.

A left hand drive 1960 TR3A would be in the format TS xxxxx L or TS xxxxx L O if it had overdrive with the xxxxxx likely above 66000

The plate would be like the number 3 plate in this Rimmer image.

GRID200680.jpg

It is possible that Bill Piggott can derive the commission number using your existing body tags and/or the engine number.

Stan

Yes, ( unlike BMIHT Heritage certs ) I can almost always identify a sidescreen TR's TS number from the 6 or 7 figure body number....However, it CANNOT be done just from the EB number, for which no records exist.....contact details in TRaction....Bill Piggott

Thanks for all your responses! Unfortunately there is no TS number plate and the V5 document was lost, the car hasn't moved since 1989! I am trying to identify the VIN number to transfer ownership as the car is currently owned by my father, Andy Hopkinson, pictured in the link below and he has given it to me to restore, for my sins! The registration number is 8528 HX.

http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/cornwall/trs-at-tregrehan-the-golden-years.html

As Bill states above, he should be able to give you the commission No. from the Body number - 1098128

(You will have to slip him a tenner though )

Bob.

Yes that would be a Rover V8 3500cc, plan to keep that motor as it was intended for racing! Think I need to up rate the rear axle though as my dad only used road tyres through fear of breaking the original axle, he still managed to hold a few records though.

Thanks again for everyone's help, I now have the VIN number!

Edited by JamesHopkinson

Andy was indeed a very rapid performer, and that car was a bit of a monster . . . . . I haven't seen the car since the mid-1980s, good to know it's still around.

Best of luck with your endeavours James, you should be in for some fun once it's up and roaring again !

Cheers

Alec

A little worse for wear & last time it ran in the eighties it dumped a load of oil so fair bit of work to do!

Like the extra rad! I presume you have let Julian know your planning on putting the car back on the road, I suspect he may well have a lot more pictures of the car as well.

Stuart.

I am sure he does have lots of pictures, dad mentioned his name last night but I wasn't born at that point and don't think I know Julian personally (that I can remember).

I would like to find out more about the car's history but am working away from home at the moment & don't get a lot of time. Also the car is in a single garage so I am waiting until I can move it in to a new double in the next few months before carrying on with the body off restoration.