Classical Dash

Hi everyone

I have a 1971 CP series TR6 (RHD), with a now badly delaminated dash, beyond sensible repair.

I rather fancy a new dash in burr elm, with a matt finish, and after a bit of research have found a company named Classical Dash in High Wycombe who tell me that they can make me what I'm after.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone used this company, and if so can they be recommended? Specifically, are their dashes of good quality, and do they fit?! Classical Dash have an impressive website, but I'm finding it very difficult now to get them either on the phone or via email?

2. Has anyone used burr elm in their cars, and does it look good? My only experience of elm is on kitchen worktops, where it looks great! (I've asked Classical Dash on two occasions to email me a photo of a burr elm dash, but they've not done so yet).

Alternatively, can anyone recommend an alternative supplier, please?

Over and out.

Classical Dash, is their company theme-tune by Mason Williams?

Dave

====

I've used Classical Dash for my TR6. Excellent dash, door tops and they veneered a panel I made for the H frame to match.

Not the fastest though. Work in this industry seems to proceed at about the same rate as trees grow!

Nigel

In the U.S. no one comes close to Prestige Autowood in California www.prestigeautowood.com . In fact, I've never seen their equal anywhere. Not sure if they will do RHD; suspect " yes " but would have to confirm.

I have two; one acquired with a car and the other I chose and bought. The former is over 20 years old and looks brand new ( as of course does the newer one, at 9 years old ).

Pic below. Note the extremely thin gap around the glove box door. This feature and others set them apart from the rest ;) .

IMA68TRALBUMCOMPLETE010.jpg

Cheers,

Tom

Anyone know what varnish &/or finish these various companies use to make the veneers look nice and keep the weather out? I've heard if DIYers using Rustin's Plasticote.

Thanks, Richard

Recently, I sprayed my new solid cherry wood dash with about 8 coats of this.

Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear Gloss.

Lightly sanded as necessary with 220 grit for the imperfect spots.

Very pleased with the results, but it took a couple weeks to get perfect.

Sprayed front & backside for complete protection.

post-13442-0-78137800-1453474357_thumb.jpg

I've bought the Rustins, but be warned its 2 pack and from what I have read pretty nasty stuff to use ……………. but to be honest I'm struggling to flatten a sheet of Burr Walnut at the moment so might throw my toys out of the pram and make a dash to classical dash!

ATB Graham

The finishing products that commercial vendors use are usually not DIY products found at big box stores. Sometimes they are catalyzed 2-part products that cure very quickly and don't require a lot of hand work, but are very durable.

This is a one-part European product. It s a true marine varnish popular with the high end wooden boat crowd.

Ed

SDC12522a.JPG

Edited by ed_h
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I have a 1971 CP series TR6 (RHD), with a now badly delaminated dash, beyond sensible repair.

I rather fancy a new dash in burr elm, with a matt finish, and after a bit of research have found a company named Classical Dash in High Wycombe who tell me that they can make me what I'm after.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone used this company, and if so can they be recommended? Specifically, are their dashes of good quality, and do they fit?! Classical Dash have an impressive website, but I'm finding it very difficult now to get them either on the phone or via email?

2. Has anyone used burr elm in their cars, and does it look good? My only experience of elm is on kitchen worktops, where it looks great! (I've asked Classical Dash on two occasions to email me a photo of a burr elm dash, but they've not done so yet).

Alternatively, can anyone recommend an alternative supplier, please?

Over and out.

Hi,

Bought Burr elm dashboard and door cap pings for my Pimento red 6 about 3 years ago, very good quality and fit. Still looking good. If you are within Tyne & Wear pop in and have a look.

regards

97fm

Anyone know what varnish &/or finish these various companies use to make the veneers look nice and keep the weather out? I've heard if DIYers using Rustin's Plasticote.

Thanks, Richard

I used Plasticote. At first it looked great but then it seemed as if there was a reaction of sort and the surface turned a bit rough to the touch. Thought I had done everything as per the instructions except I didn't use a wood sealer first. Don't know if this was definitely the cause.

Alan.

Thanks Alan et al. My Nearest & Dearest just happens to restore antique furniture for a living so she's giving the "Plasticote" a go, experimenting with some sample veneers. She's had trouble getting something "plain" enough to be similar to the original dash - I'm not a big fan of burr walnut or other fancy woods - well, not in our cars anyway.

Cheers, Richard