I'm just considering all the options to deal with the heater on my rebuild.

The old one is in a sorry state and although the motor still works, the wiring to the resistor etc is hanging by a thread.

All the box panels are in a sound but messy condition.

So - buy new. woh... Moss £555, Rimmers £560, SC Parts £511, Revingtons £634 - ouch.. A bit OTT for a heater.

or refurb. I can clean up/re-paint use new foam seals etc, new screws, and make very nice, buy a new motor and matrix, re-assemble etc.

New Motor £87, New matrix £82 + fittings etc, allow £30-£40. Total approx £209

Q:- Has anyone bought a new electric 2 speed motor ? and do you need to keep the old resistor or is it not needed ?

Q:- Any recommendations on the choice of matrix. Most of the usual suppliers have them for around the same money, but I believe there might a better alternative ? not sure.

Thank you

best

Bill

Hi Bill,

if your motor still works then why not simply fix the wiring.

If the heater matrix looks iffy give it a clean out and see if it leaks.

Where is the benefit in a two speed fan. OK the odd day for a few minutes and that's it.

A lick of paint and put it back in place.

Nobody will see it.

Roger

I found the new motor isn't the same size as the original, and requires " engineering " to close off the opening the new one presents for air leakage, and the new matrix isn't the same size either, so requires more " engineering " to compensate likewise.

But the biggest issue was the fact that the fan blade is NLA and they love to break at the smallest provocation ( i.e. removal from the motor shaft will satisfy them in most cases ;) ).

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Bill,

if your motor still works then why not simply fix the wiring.

If the heater matrix looks iffy give it a clean out and see if it leaks.

Where is the benefit in a two speed fan. OK the odd day for a few minutes and that's it.

A lick of paint and put it back in place.

Nobody will see it.

Roger

Hi Roger

Yes you are probably right about the 2 speed. The one I have on my 6, - 2nd speed is useless.

On this heater though, I'm concerned at the state of the motor. I've not taken in apart yet, but perhaps with new brushes, if it has them, it might be good.

Peace of mind thoughts push me to a new one. I'll take it apart and see what I find.

Peter W - I forgot about Clayton - Their price for a new one £386 - Upgrade lit £262 - that's a big difference to the others. I have asked them to specify what's included in the kit.

Neil - Your'e teasing... OK , do you want to sell ? how much - send a PM if you are interested.

Bill as said via pm the Clayton one is fantastic and you can purchase direct from them!

Never told bill to buy one, just stating they are good and cheaper to go direct!

No need to withdraw your offer of one to him

Hi Bill, I had my heater matrix reconditioned at Serks Masters Radiators in Jan 2004 and fitted a new uprated two speed motor from Moss at the same time as mine didnt work,

I checked the resister and that was ok so left as original Ive never had any problems,

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Dave.

Hi Bill, I had my heater matrix reconditioned at Serks Masters Radiators in Jan 2004 and fitted a new uprated two speed motor from Moss at the same time as mine didnt work,

I checked the resister and that was ok so left as original Ive never had any problems,

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Dave.

Thats the way to do it Dave ;)

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Dave.

Hi Dave

Yes, I have been thinking that might be the 1st route to follow and if it doesn't work out, then I now have other options.

my 1st step will be to inspect the existing motor, refurb (if poss) test it and take if from there.

Serks are also on my target to have the original radiator re-furbed as well, so they could do both at the same time.

Tom, Peter, Roger - thank you for the suggestions, as very helpful

Neil - I didn't say anything. Now offer withdrawn ? ! - what did I do...? bizarre

Best Bill