Oil pressure gauge

Partway through my "teach yourself to strip a TR6 dashboard" course and have found the oil pressure gauge, while functioning perfectly well, has deteriorated cosmetically beyond redemption.

Does anyone have a defunct oil pressure gauge for a CR that they would be willing to part with?

I'm looking for one with the facia in good condition (the part that has "OIL" and "Smiths" on it) to replace the manky one on my functioning gauge.

I'd also be grateful if anyone can tell me if it is possible to remove that facia (which lives in front of the needle - the part behind the needle is fine) without having to completely dismantle the gauge.

Many thanks as ever in anticipation,

John

Hi, Roger,

Thanks for your reply.

I have removed the bezel and glass, then tried to clean up the black metal facia, but it's too far gone to save, so what I would like to know is whether I can get the metal facia off without having to completely dismantle the gauge.

I'm rather nervous of going any further if I have to take the needle off, for instance.

John

John--

The frontmost fascia--the one that says "OIL" and SMITHS" should pop off easily. The back one with the numerical markings is a little more difficult, but if you are careful with the pointer, it will come out, too. You don't remove the pointer--just dislodge the dial and maneuver it out without twisting the pointer. A few more pics here: http://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-43/TR6-43.html

Ed

SDC12298a.JPG

Edited by ed_h

Whatever you do be sure to replace the seal from the oil pressure pipe to the gauge.

If this is omitted then a new stereo and carpet set will be required !

My new stereo and carpet set are very nice.......

Steve

Steve,

I well remember your post on this a while ago - I really felt for you!

When I disconnected the pipe from the back of the oil gauge, the washer literally crumbled to dust, so I guess I've been very lucky it hasn't leaked before.

The replacement washer I was going to fit is a fibre one, but I think I'll try to get a leather one to try to forestall any problems - I can get into enough trouble without going looking for it!

John

I concur with Steve, never underestimate the value of a leather washer.

Thankfully Steve and people like Steve went before us, for that reason I don't require a new carpet.

The mechanics of the oil gauge are available from most of the common suppliers, changing the bezel and facias to suit is relatively easy with a slow hand and a careful eye...

Edited by jojim65

Caerbont Automotive Inst. Ltd manufacture an exact repro of your Smiths oil pressure gauge their part # PL2319-00. It comes with all the fittings and only costs about £15 more than having the original re conditioned. I suspect that they have either access to the original tooling or drawings or both, as they seem to be an exact replica of the original. Put in your dash board you would not be able to tell the difference!

Bruce.

My winter project is the dashboard, where do I get the leather washer from?

preferably one that works and not a Chinese leaky copy haha

KC

TR Shop or you can use an "O" ring.

Stuart.

I had to speak to Caerbont direct on another subject and they have confirmed the following:

1) They have most of the original tooling for Smiths Instruments from the 1950's to 1970's.

2) Will manufacture any Smiths Gauge if they have the tooling.

3) Speedy Cables obtain their Smiths parts from them!!!!!

4) Will deal direct for complete units.

5) Also do refurb.

6) Have been able to obtain the correct Temp. Sender Unit for my Temp Gauge so that the needle is in the middle for normal running.

Bruce.

Thank you for all the information, gentlemen, sorry to have been so slow to respond, but my broadband connection has been down since Tuesday.

Caerbont Automotive looks to be a particularly good contact, especially for the smaller gauges.

Incidentally, just had my speedo and tacho back from John Ostick (JDO Instruments) after refurb and tacho conversion to electronic - very quick service and helpful advice. No connection, just a very satisfied customer!

John