Its the time that the distributor points are closed for. By measuring the dwell angle you get a more accurate setting than just setting the gap, but you need a meter to do it with.

http://www.howacarworks.com/ignition-system/checking-the-dwell-angle

Edited by RobH

I think all electronic ignitions (that don't use the points) have the dwell "designed in" although I suppose it would be possible to vary it on a programmable system.

Does it really make any difference if it's a degree or two out after setting the points with a feeler gauge? Is the difference detectable? If not it seems a bit of a faff having to measure, alter, measure, alter etc until you get a dwell that you're happy with.

I suppose it could be useful as a quick check that the gap is OK.

Edited by peejay4A

As Neil says (I think), setting the dwell can be done by cranking the engine with the plugs out and coil disconnected. If you can arrange for someone to activate the starter motor (or have a remote starter control), just watch the meter and adjust the points to achieve your desired dwell whilst spinning the engine.

Mike

It seems to me you set the points gap and then measure the dwell angle.

If the dwell angle is not to spec you set the points gap to a different value and measure the dwell angle.

Unless the dwell angle is miles out, the point setting is the one to go by.

If there is a problem with the dwell angle it shows you have a worn distributor.

The dwell is a guide to distributor wear for the home mechanic nothing more than that.

On some other makes of distributor you can adjust the points gap while the engine is running but not the Lucas ones I have used.

In that case you can set the dwell angle with one of these distributors.

In my view setting the dwell is better than setting the points gap because it will accommodate slightly pitted points and if the dwell is uneven it indicates a worn distributor. The dwell should be set within a range dependent on the the number of cylinders and the profile of the cam. It is possible to manually check the dwell with the distributor out of the car by connecting an AVO across the points and rotating the distributor to measure the number of degrees when the points are closed. (Note this won't tell you if the dizzy is worn, you need the engine running for that). A 123 or similar does not have an adjustable dwell.

Rgds Ian

It is just a point from where you view:

If you are "old school" you look at the dwell in degree or percent what in practice

is nonsense and comes from the times where only this could be measured.

It was a progress compared to the feeler gauge method because the points

tend to build a little hill on one contact and a valley on the other side

preventing to set up the used points properly.

But this method is not good if looking at the physics where a time is needed to load the coil

to make it ready to fire when the points open. This time is about 2ms with modern coils.

This should be kept constant. Can be compared to order a beer, if you give it half the

time you will not get a full beer but more froth.......

Unfortunately with different revs the time to load the coil differs because the earlier mentioned

53-57 degrees (should be percent?) will be finished faster or later depending on the rpm.

123ignition advertises "variable dwell" but that only means that it is a constant time at 2ms!

As we have the "wrong" measurement of degree instead of milliseconds we see that variable dwell.

Not to confuse us more than needed 123 advertises this constant dwell time as variable degree dwell.

Somewhat funny when fully understood I think!

By the way: The 4 cylinder TR4 is not critical concerning dwell and points gap.

The fun starts with the TR6 that already needs a high power coil with short dwell.

Also it should be kept in mind that with different gap or degree setup the position where the finger points

towards the takeoff for the cylinder varies but also that is not critical on the TR4 and starts to become

tricky with the 8 cylinder engines.

Anyway if strange behaviour is found a last remedy can be to cut a window

out of the distributor cap and idle the engine and look at that cylinder with a strobe.

I found that some electronic points for our cars require significant turning of distributor

and bring the take off away from the perfect position.

Edited by TriumphV8

Thanks all,

I asked the question because although I had a note of 53 - 57 degrees, I couldn't find where it came from.

I've used a target 55 degrees for years, and without problem. I started looking for confirmation because I'm having difficulty setting up a 'Spare' contact plate complete with gapped points and condensor, I always carry one in case of problems on the road, and having given my good known spare to a fellow group mermber

can't get this new one to run much above 3000 revs or 60ish mph.

This after two sets of points and two condensors, So the only common item is the actual contact plate carrier, and I fail to see how this could be my problem.

One point arising from the above comments, dwell has to be at least as accurate as a feeler guage, and probobly more so.

You do not need to bother with the phaff of setting points, putting everything back together, and then checking dwell, and then repeating etc.

Top Tip, (Not Mine) fit the points, just nip then on the retaining screw, and with a dwell meter connected, have someone crank the starter.

Simple then to adjust the points to perfect, by moving the points whilst reading the meter, set to about 52 degrees, (To allow for slow cranking speed) and when it is all back together check again when running, it will be within one degree!

Never fails.

Thanks again.

John.

The only reason for the discussion to an extent is that inexpensive dwell angle meters are available.

I have yet to be convinced that the are needed but tend to check any points job I do for no other reason than I have the meter.

I have not seen test of powere etc against say readings of dwell from say 50 dgrees to 60 degrees in 1 degree stepps.