Are LSD's worth having on a road car ?

As title really is it worth fitting a Limited Slip Differential to a road car I'm having the diff rebuilt anyway, I don't mind the additional cost if its actually worth it but currently I'm thinking probably not ? any advice anybody

ATB Graham

Perhaps, if the suspension is set up really hard. On an uneven surface stiff springs and anti-roll bars front and rear can prevent the rear wheels from

loading equally. One will then spin uselessly without an LSD. I had that happen at the Prescott parking field, could not get up a gentle grassy slope, even though it was dry. Although I have never driven on snow with this very stiff suspension I suspect that without a LSD it would be hopeless on a snowy/icy slope. The stock, soft, TR6 suspension was quite good on snow.

The 6 spins the driver's side inside wheel under full throttle ca 3500rpm in slowish right hand turns on smooth tarmac, due to the torque from 8psi boost. No lsd fitted. I'm hoping that replacing a tired n/s rear antiroll bar bush has cured the problem, by keeping rear wheels relatively evenly loaded in turns.

Peter

In the V8 the Quaife is fitted and its wonderful.

The 6-cylinder estimated at 180HP runs without LSD.

Roll bar at the rear increases the problems as harder springs do, too

and making the front stiffer reduces the wheelspin.

The stock TR6 ex works is set to understeer and with that does not need

LSD for daily driving although especially the Quaife does no harm when fitted.

The LSD with clutch plates can lock when hot and make some noise on sharp corners.

You will not notice a Quaife except when you need it - silent and efficient on the road

Plate types - ie Gripper etc can be mostly silenced using official Jag 'snake oil' additive but are still noticeable.

Personally I think all Triumph 2.5's and TR's and Stags should have some sort of LSD - makes them far more predictable in the wet or during fast getaways from junctions etc.

You need to practice somewhere if not used to their behaviour!

Personally I think all Triumph 2.5's and TR's and Stags should have some sort of LSD - makes them far more predictable in the wet or during fast getaways from junctions etc.

You need to practice somewhere if not used to their behaviour!

Agree to that but most do not know that difference.

It is a wise idea to check the difference in the own car,

not somebody elses, with a LSD equipped axle.

But than the money is spent and in the case of the Quaife it is a lot

and if somebody is not able to do that swap by himself and needs fitting to the car

it is close to a fortune, so not easy to decide whether its worth to spend or not.

In the early days my LSD I used in Motorsports costs 250 Euros

and it was no question to fit one.

Actually the Quaife is about 1500 Euros bare..........

worth a thought if its really needed.......

The biggest problem I encountered when driving mine hard (inner wheel spinning, outer free) was the snap-back which under certain circumstances jarred the car sideways once the inner regained traction. Unless you were ready for the snap, it could potentially point you in the wrong direction and into something solid!.

I'll more than likely be fitting something better than the stock diff when mine gets on the road again...didn't like the feeling of not knowing how the rear would react. I don't think the soft lever arm dampers helped either in this situation...great for normal driving, but felt too soggy and that feeling of bump steer/oscillating back end when cornering hard.

Depends how 'standard' yours is and as others have said how much power you have.

My 5 is about average power with some suspension upgrades and the only place I have felt that an LSD might be useful is the hairpin at Mallory on a track day. Not needed for any other track I've been on and certainly not the road in summer.

Jerry