flat rates or similar

Hi fellow members

I just got the final bill for the works carried on my cp 1971 tr6 and!

What sould be aprox. the time spent on the folowing operations, engine in situ?

1-Change crankshaft main bearings, trust washers, gaskets

2-Head out new valves and guides(out sourced) , reassemble and tune up

They whant 16 hours for 1, 19 hours for 2

It sounds too much:-)

Thank you

16 hours for the bottom end is too much. I've done the job rolling around on the garage floor in a couple of short days, maybe 8 hours total.

The head job involves more in the way of skilled work, pressing in the guides, reaming to fit stems, grinding valves, preparing a clean mating surface. I can do a simple head swap ( no guide work) in an easy day, perhaps 6 hours. So they are asking 13 to do the guides.

Peter

If you are not happy with the times ask for a breakdown of hours spent on each task.

Did you ask for an estimate before giving them the car?

Are they familiar with working on TR6,s?

Like Peter I carried out mains big ends and thrust washers, plus a new crankshaft damper comfortably in a day and that included jacking up the car making safe and getting it back on its wheels, engine run and leak checks. I reckon I could have shaved a good couple of hours off that if I'd had access to a proper garage scissor lifter, to make it a standing up job!

Removing a cylinder head one and a half hours... The rest is a bit of a gamble, depending on the work carried out to the valves and seats.. Lumping the head back on say 4 hours from start to finish..tappets and engine running.

A few hours running and driving then back for a retorque plus tappet adjustment.... Say 2 hrs for that?

These engines are not rocket science....

Surely it is worth looking at from another angle ? If the final bill is the same as someone who took say half the time, but the hourly rate is is double....does it matter. I guess it is worth knowing what the final bill amounts to for labour......and parts.

Finnaly got the chance to come over and thank you all for the pront response:-)

these hours guide lines will help to keep costs down (she will thank you) and improve works planning:-)

In balance, 5 hours to main bearings and another 5 for head should be more than fair(valve, skiming etc, was billed directly from another shop)

Keep in touch

Jose