Any wet-liner TR diesels? (!)

A frequent contributor to the "Triumphs" list in the US, a guy retired from S-T engineering, recently posted a list of applications for the wet liner "four" over the years:

The wet liner four was used in:
All TR models from TR2 to TR4A
Triumph Renown
Triumph Roadster
All Standard Vanguards from 1948-1959/60 before being replaced by the 2 litre six pot in the Vignale
There was also a Vanguard diesel variant in the mid 50's for car, van and pick-up
The Ferguson Tractor (in modified forms)
Standard Ensign in 1.6 and 2.1 litre variants
Leyland 15 and 20 revamps of the (ghastly) Standard Atlas van / pick-up / Minibus
Rover SD1 made in India
Morgan
Swallow Doretti
Warwick
And as an industrial power unit for trailer compressors, concrete mixers, stand-by generators and pedestrian controlled road rollers - all of which were as normally aspirated diesels.
I wonder if any diesel conversion TRs have been made over the years? An odd combination fershure, given the state of diesel technology back then, but it seems that just about everything has been done to a TR at one point or another. I'd be surprised if there weren't DERV TRs out there.

Knowing that one requires torque of around 105 lbf.ft to hold the cylinder head on a TR engine, with a compression ratio which could be anything up to 11.5 or even 12, I would foresee some problems in trying to accommodate a CR of the order of 21 or 22, which is typical of a diesel.

Even with a steel gasket, would one need an even greater torque on the head to keep the combustion chambers sealed?

Would the studs allow an even greater torque?

Would the figure-of-eight gaskets at the base of the liners cope?

Ian Cornish

Hi Graham,

that wouldn't be my hat by any chance !!!

The Fergy tractor used the 4 pot wet liner that was also used in ST cars etc - this ran on petrol.

They also used TVO (tractor vapourising oil) in the same block

They used a Perkins three cylinder diesel

This would suggest that a diesel conversion would have been too much for the ST block

Roger

Hi Graham,

that wouldn't be my hat by any chance !!!

The Fergy tractor used the 4 pot wet liner that was also used in ST cars etc - this ran on petrol.

They also used TVO (tractor vapourising oil) in the same block

They used a Perkins three cylinder diesel

This would suggest that a diesel conversion would have been too much for the ST block

Roger

The grey Fergie diesel is a 4 cylinder and is different engine altogether although dimensionally similar to the Petrol/TVO/Lamp oil versions.

Stuart.

Leyland 15 and 20 revamps of the (ghastly) Standard Atlas van / pick-up / Minibus

I say! Steady on!!!

You can add Atlas Major (in 1.670-litre same as Standard/Leyland 15)

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I know its not a diesel but there is at least one TR2 running around with a Stationary engine in it. The guy found a brand new unit still in the crate and fitted it to his TR2 some 15 years ago with only a few mods required. Also, don't forget the ST beetle backed Vanguard was the first diesel production car in the UK.

hogie.

Edited by Paul Hogan

I was working (as an auditor) at Coventry Climax in the early seventies and was told that they used the TR engine in their fork lift trucks. Whether that was the actual petrol engine or indeed the similar sized diesel engine which was mistaken by not too knowledgeable employees for the TR engine I can't say.

Any fork lift anoraks out there??

I was also told that the foundry patterns for the TR block were shipped out to India as they were going to cast more blocks to supply spares for the fork lifts. Maybe a complete myth!!??

Phil.