Well I've had an eventful hour so far. One offer of help, one offer of coffee, one lady stopped and asked directions to a town 30 miles away and, the best one, on lady shouting how stupid I was for breaking down here and I should be directing traffic!

Hi Grumps,

We broke down for the first time in TS2016 the other day. Waited two hours for the breakdown truck and the most gorgeous women I've ever seen steped out of the cab. My gabber has never been so flabbered. Never seen so much oil and licra.

Its enough to make you grumpy! Double yellow lines too, you should be directing traffic! :D. I like the deck chair though - always go prepared.

Seriously though, hope you get PeteT's breakdown truck and get home soon.

Cheers

Dave

Home now. Confirmed ignition. Fault in dissy somewhere. New rotor arm and cap in order I think. Two of each just in case.

Hi Grumpy.

Glad your home safe ;)

I keep a spare dizzy cap, rotor arm and a set of points and condenser all ready to pop in just incase the electronic ignition fails. :blink:

this happened to me on my first real run out in the 6 i managed to get her going with some help from NTC via the phone :D .

I do possibly carry too much in way of spare bits and tools in the car,

but hey ho the joys of 6 ownership ;)

My 6 just stopped in Shropshire the day after the Standard Triumph do at Shelsley Walsh, The only thing that I touched under the bonnet was the live feed to the fuse box,he fired up and has been perfect ever since(I really should clean the terminals !) don't overlook the simple.

I have no spark at the plug but healthy spark from the coil. No points I have electronic. Either way working fine as spark from coils shows.

Will investigate later tonight and buy duplicates of failed items tomorrow.

Cheers

rotor arm seized onto dissy shaft, brass arm loose. Eventually freed it off and inside is rusty too. looks grim. Continuity is OK. diss cap looks good too. checked leads and 3 have resistance of about 1500 ohms and 3 only 500 ohms, that seems a bit odd.

Still think its the rotor arm, red one from Paddocks tomorrow and another from DD as recommended

thanks gents, update to follow

Gary

I need to add a camping chair to my spares holding in the boot.

Glad you made it home OK Grumpy. Nice that there are some people that will offer assistance, rather than just abuse.

Think I might include a camping chair as an essential spare from now on too.

Hope the problem can be sorted soon.

Cheers, Darren

If stuck in a risky place its possible to wind the car onto the pavement with the starter. Third gear.

Hi Peter,

Great comment, which I would nominate as idea of the week. I learned about this approx 50 years ago and of course, by now, had completely forgotten it! Many thanks for the reminder.

Geoff

It does 'test' the starter...I burnt out the armature on an etype cranking it out of the road after clutch failure...but I would do the same again to get the car and others out of danger. In my case the starter likely had a 'pre-existing condition' ...

If stuck in a risky place its possible to wind the car onto the pavement with the starter. Third gear.

I had cause to use that old trick on a banger of a Marina that I owned in the early 80s, in order to get it up on the kerb and out of the way on a busy road. It's not something I'd want to do unless it was completely necessary though, because I imagine it puts a considerable strain on the starter, or is that not so?

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

Darren,

Its an emergency trick, starter and ring-gear being considerably cheaper to repair than a shunt up the rear by a bunch of happy clappy teenagers in a Toyota Yaris. ( Yes that advert is back on our screens only slightly diluted...)

Peter