Robbins top, another favor needed..

I bought a Robbing top for the TR3 project, blue everflex. It came with the fitting instructions for a Ford Mustang. I wonder does anyone have the TR3A fitting instructions ?

The box contained the soft top, a package of fasteners and a largish sheet of the everflex material. I have no idea what do with it, any idea what this is for ?

IMAG0200%201_zpscwueptv7.jpg

You may have done this.

Contact Robbins

http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/triumph.php

Your top should be either Pt No 2201 or 2202 - from the list in the link. For a 1960 car 2202 is correct.

Cheers

Peter W

PS Perhaps the extra material was folded in as a protector for the rear window?

Triumph (CHS) used to use a couple of sheets of issue paper.

Oxted Trimming (Caterham OE) used to use Cellulose wadding.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

You may have done this.

Contact Robbins

http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/triumph.php

Your top should be either Pt No 2201 or 2202 - from the list in the link. For a 1960 car 2202 is correct.

Cheers

Peter W

PS Perhaps the extra material was folded in as a protector for the rear window?

Triumph (CHS) used to use a couple of sheets of issue paper.

Oxted Trimming (Caterham OE) used to use Cellulose wadding.

I did send Robbins an email but I know that a few folks here have installed this top and may have those instructions handy.

The Robbins part number is R2234, this is not listed on their web site but it is definitely for a TR3A and the label on the box has the correct model and year etc. The top did come packed with tissue paper in between each of the folded layers and I can only assume this extra piece was used for additional packing.

IMAG0202%201_zpslmtcgxqu.jpg

Ya gotta be logged in to BCF to see that image, Stan. And my ID was reassigned by Basil to somebody else (!) a while ago, so I'm not on that forum at this time. I have a Robbins top on the someday list for my car (which may or may not have the right instructions inside, I guess), so this scanned stuff would be most useful.

If you send via pm I can post images here.

i-xtqJpf4-X2.jpg

Yeah, some other guy registered on BCF as "Don H." and Basil gave him my ID! He couldn't explain why... thought it might have been during some sort of server migration.

It reminded me to rejoin using a name common to many forums -- this one included, although "Don H." is what I display here.

Hi Both Dons

Does your Robbins top have a thin layer of foam in between the hood and the flap? Mine does (not Robbins) and I cant get the tenax through the two thicknesses and the foam, so I am thinking about taking it to a trimmer with an industrial sewing machine to have the foam removed, if need be.

Dave

Hi Both Dons

Does your Robbins top have a thin layer of foam in between the hood and the flap? Mine does (not Robbins) and I cant get the tenax through the two thicknesses and the foam, so I am thinking about taking it to a trimmer with an industrial sewing machine to have the foam removed, if need be.

Dave

Cut a hole the size of the tenax nut with a round hole punch in the correct 10 places?

Trimmer with ultrasonic welder could do 10 neat round welds to seal the edges where cut. Like the image from Don Elliott.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

My Robbins top is now installed. Not perfect but not horrible, it is a warm sunny day and the everflex fabric has some stretch to it.

My only apparent problem is that the tenax fasteners that came with the top dont want to grip the small tenax pegs across the top of the windshield. They had this problem before I made the holes in the flap and included the flap in the sandwich. The tenax pegs were part of a recent TRF kit.

Time for some tea and ponder this some more.

Stan

Long time since I've looked at the BCF. I just love the caveats . . . . .

" The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite! "

" Humor : Heard a good joke lately? Please share it with us. PLEASE KEEP IT CLEAN AND IN GOOD TASTE! If in doubt, don't post it! "

A faint odour of sanctity still pervades then. Evokes thoughts of The Crucible, and thou shalt not shall be the whole of the law.

Thank heavens for this Forum, and a less suffocating regime of moderation.

Cheers,

Alec

Long time since I've looked at the BCF. I just love the caveats . . . . .

" The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite! "

" Humor : Heard a good joke lately? Please share it with us. PLEASE KEEP IT CLEAN AND IN GOOD TASTE! If in doubt, don't post it! "

A faint odour of sanctity still pervades then. Evokes thoughts of The Crucible, and thou shalt not shall be the whole of the law.

Thank heavens for this Forum, and a less suffocating regime of moderation.

Cheers,

Alec

They seem like a nice bunch and there is a lot of useful info as I have illustrated but the forum is run the way Basil wants it. I recall Frank Angelini got banned for saying "bum" in a thread a few years ago :)

Alec

Yes! as I said, reading too many mags from over the pond. B)

BTW

Did you see our Hon. Pres. on the TV last night about 1950´s sports cars and their evolution? Seen it before though.

DAve

We have at least one unmolested, one-owner 1960 TR3A in the club so I asked the owner to take a look at the felt on the hood sticks and let me know what the factory used.

He told me that there is only felt on the front bow, that it is beige in color and doesnt extend over the webbing plates. His TR3A is red.

Edited to add that he describes the texture as more like velvet than felt.

Is that consistent with what other people have found ?

IMG_20150804_120404_zpstpooec8o.jpg

Edited by foster461

Mine was like that as well. The same tan velvet was also glued to the top front edge of my original hood along the full length of the front windscreen frame, but is not on my new Robbins top that I installed in 1990.

Don Elliott

Thanks Don. The Robbins top has that extra folded flap that may make the need for the additional layer obsolete. Did your original top also have that flap or was it just a single layer of vinyl that attached to the tenax on the windshield frame ?

Stan