Hi

does anyone know of a firm who can strip 2 rear wings for me ?

I have given them to a firm in Essex who have been messing me about for 6 weeks now !. They were going to use a burn method not the chemical way. Anyone know of a firm?

Thanks in advance

I am in Kent

Len

Edited by len1

Hi Len, not in Kent I'm afraid but any body shop should be able to chemically strip your wings, it's only a variation of Nitromoors. If the wings are off the car you might want to have a go yourself. My daughter and I did most of a TR7 shell this way under the guidance of our friendly body shop that is. You can wash it off with white spirit rather than water if like me you are nervous about getting water near bare metal.

Our guy is at Thruxton if you need his details but I suspect you will be able to find someone more local.

Good luck

Keith

• 8 months later...

Try asking your local paint shop. Mine has some under the counter paint stripper which is very potent but probably also outside of current health and safety regs. if you know what I mean. :ph34r:

Alan.

I used Nitromors on my scuttle over 40 years ago and the paint is still showing the reaction after three resprays.

This year my local blast cleaner, Bulldog Blasting of Ringmer in Sussex, would not strip the inside of my front panel on the TR3A in case of distortion. He went all round the edge and I cleaned off the centre of the panel with a rotary wire brush in a mains electric drill. I had to press hard but it took about 1/2 hour.

I was very interested to note that the red primer form the original ST paint would not come off easily. The subsequent coats of colour were all removed with out too much trouble.

Now I am waiting for the paint shop to finish it. They suggested a couple of weeks but now they have the car it has stretched to early May. I should have started in December bur it was too cold to go out to the garage. Now I want to be out on the road.

Keep away from paint stripper.

Good luck Richard & H.

ohh

thanks for the replies chaps......i should of done an update ......i tried nitomours ,pretty useless.. i just got my da sander in the end,,Job done.

I had quite a bad allergic reaction almost immediately after sanding, I think it may have been lead in the primer.i had a mask on but my skin definitely didnt like something .

i wouldnt want to do it again.

Len

Edited by len1

I'd just do it. 60 grit paper and a bit of work.

Whlst doing it you will find all the bumps that need knocking down and the hollows that need bumping up.

Just do them as they appear.

If there is a lot of underseal I use a blowlamp.