Technical Editors

Just providing the forum with a decent search engine would be a start.

Rgds Ian

PS I do know how to use Google to search the forum but I suspect there are probably plenty of others who don't.

Just put up a page explaining the Google search instead of the serach engine on here which always seems worried about controlling flooding!

Can't see any point in providing something that fails to work when there is something that does the job beautifully, FOR FREE!

Hi Muttley,

I don't think the comments raised, single you out or me or anyone else. There is obviously a wide range of experience and technical ability posting on the Forum and every new owner comes on with, what to them, are a fresh set of problems.

So far as I can recall, most queries are treated with respect and aim to be helpful. Nevertheless, whilst the search function may not be great but, for example, if you type in 'Tyres', I'll bet there are 100 threads on the correct size of tyre for a TR6 and they all say the same thing.

Forums are a two way street.

For those who don't use the feature in Google to restrict search terms to a specific website... and if you're unhappy with the onboard forum search options, this might be worth considering.

Here's an example. The syntax is pretty simple and mostly self explanatory.

In the Google search window, type the [search terms] then [site:website to use exclusively for results]

For example: tachometer cable noise site:www.tr-register.co.uk/forums

will give fifteen hits from our forum about the subject of noise from tach cables.

Here's the result from that search example in Chrome:

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=tachometer%20cable%20noise%20site%3Awww.tr-register.co.uk%2Fforums&oq=tachometer%20cable%20noise%20site%3Awww.tr-register.co.uk%2Fforums&aqs=chrome..69i57.21277j0j8

Edited by Don H.

Indeed so Don, and if we look for TR6 tyres as per Chris' suggestion there are no less than 1360 results . . . . . .

There is useful advice on searching, by the way, in the Forum help section . . . . . .

Coincidentally, this evening I received an email from a new TR6 owner re tyre selection . . . . . he cheerfully explained that he didn't have the time to waste searching the TR Forum for tyre discussions, his time is "worth more per hour than any TR tyre", to quote. So he wanted an instant answer to save his valuable time, and assumed I'd be the chap to supply one - no doubt expecting foc.

Not often I get to feel discumknockerated, but in this instance I've sent him a pro forma invoice and await his Paypal remittance . . . . . it ain't just what you say, it's the way that you say it, as the old song goes. Anyone whose time is worth more than a TR tyre per hour, and hence he doesn't have the spare time and/or inclination to search Forum, can well afford to buy me a stiff drink. :D

Cheers

Alec

Don,

Its a very useful trick. ( I use 'site:co.uk' to find bits and pieces I need )

This string gives 4800 hits !

PI site:TR-register.co.uk/forums

* site: TR-register.co.uk/forums

gives 54,000 hits.

It does show what we would be up against in organising an archive gleaned from forum posts.

And that PI accounts for 1 in 11 posts !

Peter

Indeed, Alec -- much depends on how wide one casts the net. That same search restricted to the TR Register forum.for TR6 tyres gets down to 687 results if one uses the terms TR6 tyres best replacement. Still a lot of hits, but searching the literature has never been a single-click magic bullet.

Questions to the broader group, even if they've been mostly dealt with in the past, can be interesting if there's a new twist on the subject. I'm with you that if someone has tried and is stumped or confused, they're most welcome to bring up an (apparently) dealt-with topic. It's kind of frustrating to see others expect somebody else to peel them a grape.

It'll be interesting to see if your tyre advice is worth a drink. For someone valuing their hobby time at hundreds of £/hr, how could it not be?

peanuts.gif

Don,

Its a very useful trick. ( I use 'site:co.uk' to find bits and pieces I need )

This string gives 4800 hits !

PI site:TR-register.co.uk/forums

* site: TR-register.co.uk/forums

gives 54,000 hits.

It does show what we would be up against in organising an archive gleaned from forum posts.

And that PI accounts for 1 in 11 posts !

Peter

Yes, but as an academic, Peter, you realize of course how literature searching works. I'm assumiing you chose that example to stir the pot -- using "PI" as the sole search term is a bit extreme, and surely anyone looking for the answer to some PI question would be a little more specific?

Coincidentally, this evening I received an email from a new TR6 owner re tyre selection . . . . . he cheerfully explained that he didn't have the time to waste searching the TR Forum for tyre discussions, his time is "worth more per hour than any TR tyre", to quote. So he wanted an instant answer to save his valuable time, and assumed I'd be the chap to supply one - no doubt expecting foc.

Not often I get to feel discumknockerated, but in this instance I've sent him a pro forma invoice and await his Paypal remittance . . . . . it ain't just what you say, it's the way that you say it, as the old song goes. Anyone whose time is worth more than a TR tyre per hour, and hence he doesn't have the spare time and/or inclination to search Forum, can well afford to buy me a stiff drink. :D

Cheers

Alec

Alec,

That has got to be The Post of the Year.

I'd send him a TRAction part number, from these guys:

http://www.bhleakerubber.co.uk/our-products/traction-engine-wheels

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

There are some pretty good summaries of using the Google search engine on the forum in the above. Could I suggest that whoever controls these things, pins extracts from the above (with a plain english guide to using the various strings) at the top of every forum section for the benefit of anyone wanting to carry out a more detailed search.

Rgds Ian

Search? I've been on this forum 10 years and still haven't worked out how to post a picture without teeth gnashing and swearing! Let alone search. So I've given up trying.

I'm not a technophobe, I've been using desktop PCs since 1986 (who remembers Supercalc and Rapidfile ?) but strings? I'm afraid not :D

No, don't tell me how to do it again, from what I've read elsewhere on here it looks like I (and many others) won't be able to access the forum for much longer anyway.

Tony

I am just grateful to have you good people around.

If it wasn't for your help ,advice and positive comments......I would've gone back to Minis !!!

There are some things I can do, and some I cannot (no experience or the correct tools).

My old Deputy Head (Mr Groome)from years ago always said...."there is no such thing as a stupid question".

If you don't understand , ask !!

From his teaching career, he must have heard the same things asked , time and time again.

He never tired of imparting his knowledge.

To all of you who have put up with us "newbies"......stick in there !!!

This forum is a good place to be involved with .

Yes, but as an academic, Peter, you realize of course how literature searching works. I'm assumiing you chose that example to stir the pot -- using "PI" as the sole search term is a bit extreme, and surely anyone looking for the answer to some PI question would be a little more specific?

Don, But if we try searching ' PI 'on the forum's own search engine it wont accept it !! And I chose it because PI can be a puzzle, difficult to diagnose. So I did think there'd be a lot of hits - but not that high percentage !

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Another search trick is to search for phrases.

We get 1700 hits from this string:

Best tyre section TR6 site:TR-register.co.uk/forums

But a phrase coupled with plus signs to make the other terms mandatory narrows it down to 7:

best + " tyre section" + TR6 site:TR-register.co.uk/forums

=====

Searching for images can be a lot quicker too.

=========

And when shopping:

narrow the time down to past say month ( click on search tools and then time)- thers no point in trying to buy what has been sold.

use ' site:co.uk '

and to avoid ebay use ' - ebay'

A minus sign will remove that term results from the result.

We get 980 hits from this:

TR6 tyres 195 65 vredestein site:co.uk

Narrowed down to 10 using:

TR6 + tyres +195 + 65 + vredestein site:co.uk

the plus signs means that term must be present in the search.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Once the new website is launched, which you will be aware (if you've been reading TR Action), is scheduled for later this year, so much will be improved - and that will include Searching.

Meanwhile, the advice given above on how to use the Google Search is extremely helpful.

As far as photos are concerned, I believe that, in the majority of cases, it make sense to reduce the definition because the detail will still be clear enough whilst the size of the image becomes much more manageable. I use a tool called PhotoResize1280R which typically reduces a 3.6MB photo to 133KB. Uploading is not difficult as the system instructs one step by step - if unsure, borrow a child of about 12 years of age (with parents' consent, of course)!

Ian Cornish

Hi Folks,

blimey, I'm away midge hunting for a couple of weeks and things get interesting !!!!!

I've just read through this little lot and my brain hurts but here are my replies -

Newbies - there are NO stupid questions. You are only stupid if you don;t ask. Mind you I have posted some stupid answers (mainly TR6)

Experts - there are few experts but they are worth their weight in surrey tops. There are well meaning enthusiasts that may get the plot wrong (me and TR6's).

There are polite posters and there are pointed posters (and there are some bloody rude posters, but he has been banned now) - everybody has their way. Interpret accordingly and have a good day.

I have an engineering background but have committed a few howlers on the TR. Posting about the cock-ups and making fun about it may help others.

Some of the cock-ups may not have happened but make good reading.

I remember Austins post about the TR rolling off the ramps !!! I left a jack under the back of one of my mega ramps and had an interesting departure - arrrgghhhh

The new website should resolve some issues and for Tony - watch this space.

Roger